Importance of a bond, Part 1 [memory]

The lands of Atinaw surrounding the capital city.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author

Linden

Searing 02nd, Year 102, Age of Steel

Standing against a stable beam Linden listened to Arif speak to him the importance of horseback riding for both practical and war-time means. Since she was a part of the Order of the Dragon and became a Vasagle, she believed in some things greatly as odd as they can be. The young boy looked bored while he kicked the random straws of hay on the stable floor. The smell wasn't too bad since it was cleaned out and the doors have been open all day, but still smelled like horses, hay, and feed.

"I can just walk everywhere or run," says Linden as he walks over to her as she brushes Stygian. A large black mare that was bred by the people of Yzranor, more specifically, from the House of Forni. "And for battles, I will not be fighting since I am just a child."

"Back in the day, child or not, you would have been conscripted once you reached a certain age. For some Houses during my travels, anyone who wasn't the first son is mandated to serve. That isn't going to happen here in Atinaw, but there are traditions that every man and woman should know. Self-defense is one of them, but I am holding off on that with you for now. I know we went over some tactics, but what happened during the time of Berintainth, we will focus on other things."

"I was just defending myself..."

"I know, but violence-"

"Tell me about horseriding," interjects Linden as he crosses his small arms. "When do I start riding?"

"Oh, not for a while," Arif nods. "There are other things you must learn before you even get on."

"What?"

"Did you think that you were just going to hop on, prance, and run and then you are done?"

Linden didn't respond when she hands him a pair of thick mitts that had bumps and ridges on them. He flipped them over and looked up to her as she motioned for him to put it on. Her foot sliding over a tall stool beside her.

"If you ride, the horse is yours and you take care of it. While there are those that will take care of the feeding and cleaning, but ultimately it is up to the rider," tilting her head to the side as golden eyes watched him. "We need to break you of this fear of things. I know you are sheltered and it is a part of my duty to watch over you, but I will be aiding you in becoming a man. Now first, they can sense nervousness and in turn, they will react accordingly."

Over the next hour, Arif began to explain to Linden the importance of calmness when approaching animals. Like how he enjoys walking up to dogs and cats with confidence, this was no different. Since Stygian and her were close, they can read each other and it wasn't because she was a Rathari either.

Explaining that there is no true bond if the animal does not recognize you. She suggests that the relationship involves increased trust on the animal’s behalf and increased caring and understanding of the animal’s needs on the part of the entrusted with their care. The mutual benefit of the bond that promotes an increase in the well-being for both parties. The bond is the forming of close, specialized relationship, such as the link between parent and child, husband and wife, friend and friend. Many of these relationships are recognized by behaviors understood by all involved.

"I knew that... Kind of," says Linden as he keeps brushing Stygian and wondered what the point of using the strange gloves. "Like Aunt Patty has her cat that loves her to death and she knows what every mew and meow and rub means. Like that?"

"Yes, just like that. Though don't call Stygian a cat, she might take offense," she chuckles as the mare snorts in response while bobbing their head and turns to stare at Linden with large, dark orbs.

The two of them stared at each other as the young boy began to grow nervous as the mare's ears flattened briefly. Snorting again in their face this time and nudges their muzzle against their cheek before they slowly lay down. Shaking their mane now with a neigh while Arif begins to laugh.

"It appears she wants you to massage her back better with those gloves of yours and you are doing just fine with her. Tomorrow we will bring out the curry comb, dandy brush, body brush, and how to properly come out the mane and tail," she smiles and walks away as the boy just stares at the horse that touched his cheek.

"I thought it was going to bite my face off..."

"She won't unless I say so," Arif smirks since she wasn't joking. Linden paled and looked back to the mare that neighed again. "Better hurry, Linden. She's getting impatient."

"Right," he replies in a wary voice and begins to rub their back. Arif comes up behind him and places her calloused hands on top of his gloved ones to show him how much pressure he can apply and which motions were best.

word count: 922

Return to “The Lands of 8”