Ard Fuil

The Jewel of the Northlands

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Taelian
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47
Plot Notes: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=286
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

It took him a small amount of time - though not overlong - to calm his nerves and focus on the 'presentation' he was being offered by the other, who had meticulously laid out a sort of demonstration for Taelian to partake in. He observed, quietly, as Talon grabbed his own blade and swung at the breastplate he had set upon a mannequin as practice. A clattering impact, with sparks flashing alight; it was what was to be expected when striking at plate, at least with a regular weapon, and a regular swordsman. Taelian could tell that Talon was not entirely unskilled with the blade, but he did not attempt to do anything flashy with it. He would need to observe more, he thought, to better gauge his skill.

The other man explained things better; the enchantments upon his blade, how it was crafted with superior materials that had been gathered by the smith himself. How it was nearly unbreakable, and despite the breastplate's own minor durability attunement, it was likely that Taelian would be able to break through it with fair ease. That meant that, likely, on top of nearly insurmountable durability the weapon was also superior at breaking through metal, or perhaps had a truly stellar cutting ability.

As it had already been Enkindled, Ard Fuil was essentially doubling up in both of those factors; he was intrigued by how well it would perform.

Taelian drew the blade, pulling the ruby length from its quality sheath, and held it before him. The molten veins of Enkindling crowded the earlier length of the weapon, with only meager cinders of heat exuding from the end length of the blade. Enkindled, the black edges of the weapon appeared almost chromatic as he turned and adjusted the sword. It was truly a handsome weapon, and he was impressed immensely by the effort placed into constructing it.

He stepped forward, towards the mannequin, and prepared to swing. Taelian's stance slightly parted as he bent forward somewhat onto one knee, with his other leg behind it, outstretched somewhat diagonally in order for his back heel to hold firm against the floor. He held the hilt of his weapon with both hands, Ard Fuil's tip aimed opposite from where Taelian faced and pointed somewhat downwards, towards the floor. Quickly, he stepped forward, and fluidly into his movement the blade quickly swung almost like a pendulum until it was facing directly forward him, slicing upward from below through the breastplate. He quickly pivoted his wrist after the swing culminated, fluidly forcing the weapon to descend once more until he pressed the tip of the weapon hard against the floor by his feet. Two quick, vertical swings, each of them tearing through large sections of the breastplate; it felt like nothing to do so. It was easy.

With a normal weapon, even against normal armor, he could not generally dismantle plate with such ease.

"It's... impressive, Talon," he smiled, faintly. It was genuine; he was truly impressed. Enough to uplift him, very much so. "This will serve me very well against Dranoch -- their bolstered claws can often cut through normal weapons, and they're hard to tear through themselves. In melee combat, I believe I'll finally have a significant advantage," he noted, and moved again to smoothly sheath his weapon.

"I truly feel like an Ebon Knight," he remarked. "Thank you, again, Prince. Is there anything left you wish to show?" He doubted it, though he supposed it was possible. Talon did state seemingly more than once that the blade Taelian now wielded was his greatest work; a masterpiece, in its own right. Though he knew little of Runeforging, he knew that its scope was broad.
word count: 630
Talon
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=127
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=151

Talon was filled with pride as he watched the sword cut through the breastplate like butter. The edge didn’t even falter or pause in its clean slice through the armor. He wasn’t sure how much of Taelian’s magic affected the overall performance of the sword but he had to assume that it augmented it somehow. The fiery veins along the blade certainly made it look more impressive, he liked to think it enhanced what he’d put in place.

“I am glad. Every knight needs a good sword.” Talon smiled. It was a genuine smile. Weapons, Talon knew those. He knew armor too. He’d spent enough time at the forge to know the intricacies of most basic forms and how they were forged. He wasn’t a master weaponsmith or armorer but he knew enough to make things of use.

“The runes along the blade are for more than just show. The sword is enchanted using illumite dragonshards. Feed aether to the sword and it will be able to shine a light in dark places where you have need for one.” Talon stepped forward and picked up the mannequin. He moved it off to the side then brought up his ordinary longsword. He turned to face Taelian, standing only a foot or so away from the elf.

“The sword’s edge will never dull against objects of lesser make. It will also never rust. I included the purified ashes of a fiery wraith into its forging. You told me that you are a practitioner of fire magic, so I made the blade fireproof.” Talon smiled. He didn’t want Taelian to attempt to use one of his fiery techniques and have to worry about holding back for fear of melting his own sword. While he wasn’t entirely clear on how the logistics of such techniques would work, he had put that particular measure in place just in case. Bringing up his sword, Talon extended his forearm. He cut himself enough to draw blood. Setting his own sword aside he then reached forward so that he could hover his wound over the blade of Ard Fuil.

“Lastly…” Talon let drops of his blood fall upon the sword watching for the magic that he had enchanted it with to take effect. If everything went accordingly, which he had no reason to believe it wouldn’t, the sword would absorb his blood and feed it into the jewel on the pommel of the sword.

“I included one of my own feathers to assist in making the blade lighter and easier to maneuver with. The final piece I used to forge it was sanguinyte. A blood gem. It has been treated using alchemical remedies and also is balanced with the purifying nature of illumite so you won’t suffer any ill effects. But...well...cut yourself with the blade and then…”

He shrugged his shoulders. His silver wings extended briefly and then relaxed.

“Watch.”

word count: 503
Taelian
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47
Plot Notes: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=286
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

He listened and observed each of the other man's words very carefully. Talon spoke of the blade's illuminating properties; how it could shine a light in dark places via its Runes, which were in Silvain. He had to admit, he very much liked that touch. It made him identify with Ard Fuil even more, to know it was inscribed with words that resonated with his identity. It carried the majesty of an old Elven weapon, or so he thought, though in truth it was much more aligned with the sort of weapons wielded by the Dranoch and their ilk. But that was what 'Siltori' meant now; the Dranoch were those in power. This was all he had ever known.

And in truth, he appreciated the irony of cutting them down with a weapon that mirrored somewhat closely one of their own.

Talon continued to explain its virtues. It was fire-proof, rust-resistant, unlikely to dull unless in contest with greater weapons than itself which were unfailingly rare. He continued to explain the weapon's many additions; it had been infused with... Talon's feather? Taelian did not quite understand how it worked, but the material had given a lightness that he had noticed to some extent upon first gripping it. It wasn't an immense difference in maneuverability, but it was significant enough to make Emblem more valuable and less risky in close-quarter combat with a Cardinal. Taelian nodded, and whispered a small 'thank you', as it was the trait he'd first asked for when petitioning for the blade.

He had not realized how extensive its enhancements would be; the Siltori had little experience with Runeforging, and had only heard of such weapons in passing, usually in regards to the Black Revenant.

Last was something that prompted Talon to cut himself, holding his rend skin over the blade. The crimson droplets fell quietly onto the cold steel, before mesmerisingly racing towards the empty jewel near the hilt, lit by an amber backdrop due to being Enkindled. The rush of the blood to the jewel was, again, almost hypnotic as it appeared to follow the gem with a purpose and upon nearing it, the blood almost appeared to evaporate. It became absorbed within the weapon, and filled the gem like a glass.

Taelian's brows rose. He followed Talon's instructions hastily and cut open the center of his palm, hoping his blood would fill the weapon until the red crystal was even more advanced in its progression. It did not seem to fill from his own blood; only Talon's. Taelian quirked his head in bemused wonder. Why?

Nevertheless, he felt a somewhat primitive instinct to channel the resources that the gem held. Gripping his hilt more tightly, he allowed the power of the weapon to be provoked and then to surge, flowing into the core of his palm as red lines of energy. He felt his injury diminish; it was a long slice but not particularly deep, and within only seconds it recovered. It closed without scarring as if the cut had never been there, and even the pain subsided, save for the strange feeling of residual irritation.

Powerful, indeed. That ability would certainly be of use; Taelian's blade was often bloodied, and harm was often a limiter for him. To be able to revoke injuries through bloodletting was a great boon.

"I... thank you, Talon. You are kind. I can tell that... you truly put a lot into this. More than I would have ever imagined."
word count: 602
Talon
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=127
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=151

Talon watched Taelian carefully even as he bandaged his arm. He admitted to himself that he was nervous about the Siltori’s reaction but that worry was quickly dispelled. Talon beamed with all the pride of a craftsman for a moment before he stepped forward and touched his fingers to the blade. His eyes softened as he recounted the lessons he’d learned in its forging. The journey to gather the reagents alone had taught him much both about his craft and about himself. His wants, his fears, his strengths and his insecurities. The very conversation that he’d had with Taelian upon presenting the blade to him was proof that some of those fears were still very real for him. He supposed there were fears that Taelian had as well.

“You are important, Taelian. I don’t think you realize how much.” He removed his hand from the blade and took a deep breath. “Consider it my peace offering. Whatever the road ahead...I don’t want to be a source of fear for you, Taelian. That’s no way to live.”

Clearing his throat, Talon gave a nod then placed his hands on his hips. He gave a nod looking about his shop with a fond sadness. The crates, sacks, cases and paraphernalia that was all being packed away symbolized for Talon the closing of a chapter in his life. He knew what lay ahead of him. The journey he was about to embark upon would not be an easy one. It would be the most challenging and arduous trial of his life, he suspected. Faced with the weight and reality of that, his mind was not so fixated on what if’s but rather on how to face those challenges.

“Now then, if you’ll excuse me? I must continue packing.” He turned to return to stashing away the life he had built for himself separate from his identity as Heir to House Novalys. Talon paused briefly before returning to packing.

“And Taelian?” Emotions that Talon couldn’t quite describe himself, things he wasn’t certain of, things he hoped for, and a small amount of trepidation made him hesitate. “Safe travels.”

word count: 373
Mystic

Taelian

Lores
Persuasion: Explaining one's 'side'
Psychology: Coming to terms with an undesirable situation
Negotiation: Understanding another to reach compromise
Blades: Consecutive vertical slashes
Blades: Horizontally holstering a blade
Artifact: Ard Fuil
Artifact: Ard Fuil's properties

Loot: Ard Fuil, the Runeblade

► Show Spoiler

Injuries: N/A

Talon

Lores
Semblance: Recognizing unhappiness in an aura
Semblance: Recognizing fear in an aura
Semblance: The appearance of fire magic in the aether
Semblance: Aura of Ard Fuil, the Runeblade of Taelian
Persuasion: Arguing against unfairness
Persuasion: Convincing someone to hear your point of view
Persuasion: Pointing out the flaws in another person’s arguments
Politics: Using political tension to garner sympathy
Politics: Articulating the delicateness of regional balance
Business: Exalting one’s wares to the betterment of one’s trade

Taelian: Comes from an impoverished area
Taelian: Fears retaliation for his romance with Riven
Taelian: Has been gifted Ard Fuil
Taelian: Isn’t that bad

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A

Comments:Tense, with a sweet ending. Was a good story arc. Very nice read, enjoy points! Message me if you have any issues.

word count: 661

Return to “Kalzasi”