[Brenner & Myles] Because I Liked You Better

High City of the Northlands

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Ursula Fletcher
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2828

14th of Glade

The Ending Star was one of Ursula’s favorite restaurants in the city.

Or, it had been, back when she’d attended the Greater Institute. The restaurant was only across the street from the Institute central courtyard. She’d spent many an afternoon pretending to study with a friend or two, running up a bill before having it sent to her parents. The food was, of course, excellent, but the drinks were fabulous.

And, of course, there was the Bartender.

The Bartender was an open secret - and, to a certain clientele, the primary reason to patronize the Ending Star. The students were obsessed with him. A failed actor or that was the rumor, he was beautiful. Tall, with broad shoulders. A healthy mop of black hair that was perfectly messy. Eyes as brown as the richest chocolate. And his voice was the most delicious thing, all melody, and sweet things.

Ursula had - when she’d first started at the Institute, spied a glance or two sent her way, or to one of her friends, but she’d discovered very quickly that the Bartender wouldn’t be interested in her.

Not ever.

It was only after they became friends she learned the Bartender was actually Oscar Baumann. He aspired to fame and theater and was a terrible flirt. He was witty and charming and was, most importantly, a match to Ursula in conversations on any and all topics. He teased her, uncaring about her family or name, and she delighted in his life and in the debauchery he found himself entangled.

She was terribly jealous of the freedom he so easily enjoyed.

And, of his luck with men.

Ursula fancied herself a sort of matchmaker in her youth, for all sorts. She knew a few men who enjoyed the same sorts of fun Oscar did and set them up, oh so very slyly. And, while they’d both grown older and a bit distant, Ursula still very much treasured Oscar as a dear friend - and helped him, when she could, with her own contacts at the Pfenning.

And today, he’d help her. Not that he knew it - not that she would ever be upfront about her own machinations.

It bothered her that Myles hadn’t mentioned Brenner, before. She still wasn’t sure anything existed between them. She wondered if she’d imagined it. Ursula hoped a second pair of eyes might make whatever she’d seen all the more clearer.

And, even if Oscar was open with his own secrets, he was smart enough to keep quiet on Ursula’s.

And so, she waited for them both in a corner booth - private enough that they wouldn’t need to worry about prying eyes, save for the ones Ursula wanted.

word count: 505
“After all, a person is herself, and others. Relationships chisel the final shape of one's being. I am me, and you.”
Brenner Dornkirk
Title: First Minister of the State of Zaichaer
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43& ... 5964#p5964
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1285

Brenner had been happy to accept Ursula's invitation to dine. He was of the belief that friendship was the paramount pillar of any strong match, and so the frequency of their recent rendezvous and the ease with which they seemed to get along felt very promising. On paper she was an ideal match for him, and in practise she seemed to be proving to be much the same.

This particular meet-up was a tad different insofar as Ursula invited Myles Arnnett to join them. He knew they had a long history, though he'd not pried into the details with either of them. They seemed to be good friends, but he didn't know if they'd ever been more or if there was any lingering attraction between them. He wasn't sure how he'd have felt either way if that turned out to be the case, but he had bigger issues with which to concern himself than that. War was impending apace.

Brenner had never been to The Ending Star. His coach pulled up out front and two burley bodyguards flanked him as he stepped out and into the front entrance. His team had done a sweep of the place earlier in the day and there were a few plainclothes security officers planted throughout the bustling establishment, as well. With a bounty on his head large enough to make a poor man into a petty king, the State was taking no chances with their new First Minister's livelihood. Not only would it have been bad for the Dornkirks, it would have looked like a failure on the part of the new regime to keep their officials secure during the transition period.

He made his way by the bar and cast a quick sidelong glance to the strapping man behind it, but once his eyes landed on Ursula they remained there as he drew up to the table. He turned to mutter something to his guards, who stepped away as he leaned over to kiss Ursula on both cheeks.

"Good evening, Miss Fletcher. Thank you for the invitation." He claimed a seat and his guards moved to opposing corners of the room to assess any potential threats.
word count: 385
"I have set my life upon a cast,
And I will stand the hazard of the die."
Rune
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3831

R E V I E W

Lore: 8 each for Brenner and Ursula

Injuries/Ailments: None

Loot: None

Notes: Sorry this didn't get finished =\
word count: 49

Return to “Zaichaer”