So That Is What Happened

Explore the Wildking's Forge and the vast open wilderness that covers the Region of Karnor.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Pahoran
Title: He Who Stands Tall and Proud
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=974
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1008

Pahoran
Rayunia

Knight of Justice

One with the
Light of Dawn,

Martyr for Hope

So That Is What Happened
Glade 20 122 AOS

Pahoran found himself on cleaning duty in his grandparent wagon. The young man wasn’t happy about the assignment as he would have rather been well doing anything else, but he counted blessings since it was only his grandparents Taselia and Sarino wagon, and while they had clutter the wagon was clean, so most of what he was doing was getting dirt out of the corners and trying to make there piles of paper and books less like paper and books. It was while Pahoran was doing this that he bumped a precarious pile of papers.

The young man let an exasperated sigh escape his lips as he watched the pile just slip across his outstretched hands and across the floor to the other side. To himself he muttered, “Well I guess I am starting with this pile.” He said and began to pick up the scattered papers. It was long in this process that he found a letter that grabbed Pahoran’s attention. His ice blue eyes widened as he read the paper and he sat down rather suddenly on the floor as he read the note again.

Brother,

It pains me to have to leave you and our family but my mission is clear. The Imperium sought many of the treasures that our sacred order guarded. So many of us died to protect those things from falling into their hands. I expect that I will not live much longer. The Inquisition is desperately searching for me. But as you have entrusted the future of our work to your sons, I will ensure mine are ready for what is ahead. The sword must remain safe. I will make sure of it. So it must go to one of the places they would not think to seek it. If we do not see each other again in this life, I will be waiting to share drinks with you again in the next.

The Dawn rises, brother. So I shall sing praise to the sun.

I love you all. My family is as your family. Arcas guide you, my friend.

-Norick

Pahoran was well aware that Norick was the final Grand Master of the Order who Pahoran had believed had died during the fall of the Citadel. The stories he had heard had mentioned that he was in charge of guarding the greatest secrets and items of the order. Pahoran finally set the letter on the table and returned to cleaning up the wagon. For the first time he didn’t rush through, and took his time organizing the wagon. He was kind of in a daze. Once he was done he sat down at the table next to the letter and waited, he wouldn’t life to his grandfather about seeing the letter, but he wanted to see what the older knight said. Pahoran was prepared for either answers or dismissal, either way he waited until his grandfather would return to his wagon to be greeted by a Pahoran and the old letter.

“Endurance is one
of the most difficult
disciplines, but it is
to the one who
endures that the
final victory comes.”

― Gautama Buddha.

word count: 619
Paragon
Title: Chief Author of Ransera

P A R A G O N
The heavy thud of tired footsteps came to the wagon. Taselia was an older Avialae. The many years he had spent as both an explorer and warrior of the Dawnmartyr Order had hardened his body and mind, keeping him sturdy even in his old age. That did not stop him from occasionally feeling Velar’s reminder that time marched ever onward. Rustling his wings, he folded them closer so that he could comfortably get into the cozy space of his and his wife’s wagon. He had some correspondence to write before attending to the rest of the family. As he opened the door to the wagon, he immediately registered the sitting frame of his grandson. He warmed at seeing the young man but noticed Pahoran’s posture. There was a tension to his shoulders. There was the tell-tale knit to his grandson’s brow that told him the young man was thinking on something very hard. Taselia’s eyes fell to the table in front of Pahoran.

He recognized the faded page that was folded in front of him. He would recognize it anywhere. He had spent more hours than he could remember reading over it, understanding it, and feeling heavy with the weight of what it meant.

Taselia’s face softened.

“Ah.”

With a heavy sigh he stepped into the wagon, closing the door behind him. He seated himself across from Pahoran and picked up the letter. He did not need to open it to know the words that were written on its surface. He had memorized them by heart. He would know the words even if they were faded and the paper had crumbled. They were the last words he ever received from a friend. Taselia thumbed the paper.

“What are your questions, my boy?”

word count: 327

Return to “The Northern Wilds”