Too Hot to Handle [Solo] [Part II]

Continuation of Too Hot to Handle.

The Umbrium is the lower half and secondary seat of the Solunarian Capital and one of the dual-cities that comprises Solunarium Proper. Before the rise of Aværys, mining revealed the site of a ruined, underground city which they dubbed Oblitium “The Forgotten City”, the foundations of which were incorporated into what is now The Umbrium. Warmed by the magma that churns just behind the walls, the Umbrium houses the Palatium Umbrarum (The Shadow Palace) which was constructed directly beneath its sunlit counterpart, the Blazing Palace. This palace serves as the primary seat of government when the sovereign is moonborn, and houses the headquarters of The Silver Sentinels.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Hilana Chenzira
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=3526
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3545
Letters: viewtopic.php?t=5196

8 Frost, Year 122

[Closed]
[Legendary]

[Part I]

“When you say headaches, is that your usual symptom of overgiving?” Sentinel Ævril wanted to know, his hands clasped behind his back as he regarded her, the way the orb of fire reflected in her eyes and against the jewelry in her ears. That was interesting. She may have been sensitive like that due to having less experience in the actual practice, so her limits to expending her aether were more of a discomfort than pushing past that to proper overgiving.

“Yes sir,” she nodded. “I usually start feeling a pressure buildup in my temples, like a sandstorm is coming on,” Hilana explained. She would have tapped her head if not for the fire in her hands, and the fact she was disinclined to let it go. “The spirits always seem to get a bit louder then, too. As if in warning.”

He started to move again, just a walk, circling the girl and the python draped on her shoulders. Tiaz’ head rested on his own back, coiling up like a scarf. “And thus far it has been the same for all elements?”

She nodded once more in affirmation. “The last time I pushed too hard with fire I felt a bit feverish for an hour or so, but after I had something to eat and drink and rested for a bit... I was fine. Earth sometimes gets upset when I want to stop, especially if I’m familiar with them.”

“Fortunate, then. Have you tried pushing past that?” He queried, continuing his walk. It didn’t seem to throw her off of her game, but she wasn’t following his movements like she had been earlier once he passed behind her. Her focus remained on the ball of fire in her palms. Understandable, for a novice. But she would have to learn to multitask, especially to utilize Elementalism in a combat situation.

Hilana shook her head. “No. I was advised not to, if I started feeling off. I don’t want to offend the spirits by pushing too hard and earning scorn or derision from them.” Besides, she didn’t want to push herself to the point where she wouldn’t be able to practice for a while. Smaller, steady sessions had been working so far for her, and that was to her benefit.

“What do you think would happen if you do overgive?” As he passed around her front, he could see more sweat starting to bead on her skin. Whether it was from the strain of the channeling, or the heat, it was tough to say. This was only his first lesson with the untried and untested girl, and he was more or less satisfied. She did have a decent enough command of control, so she might manage yet.

“I don’t know. Either it goes wrong... like I lose control of this fire... and subsequently burn Tiaz and I... or it just flames out entirely. Or the spirits won’t want to talk to me anymore, at least for a while.” The pressure was there, then, and Hilana shook her head. The flame wavered, as the heat in her hands grew hotter, as if in promise. More, more, more...

“All are possible,” Ævril agreed with her. “You could pass out. You could set yourself on fire. Hair is remarkably flammable, you know,” he indicated her thick bun atop her head, but he had a small smile on his face. “Just let it die down when you are ready, Miss Chenzira, and we will go over the points that have been learned today. Posture, breathing, channeling, and the importance of consistency.” As soon as he said that, Hilana brought her hands together, extinguishing the flame that she had been nurturing, thanking the spirits for their time and effort. There would be another time. Because sooner rather than later, she was going to need them again. “Now, I think you can grab your notebook.”

Ævril watched her as she got her notebook and pencil, and returned to him on the training floor. “To summarize the practical part of our lesson, an Elementalist cannot directly affect the elemental work of another. That is to say, you cannot take my fireball from me and make it your own. You could surround it with fire that you make, but without my maintaining the core, it does not accomplish your goal for this lesson. You can use other elements to achieve different effects,” he paused there as Hilana wrote quickly in her shorthand, her gaze never leaving him. He let her catch up, and once her writing stopped, he continued. “For example, fire can be diverted or overwhelmed by a greater size fireball. You can make it hotter and larger with air, or even force it to flame out entirely by suffocating it by pulling air away from it. You can quench it with water. You can smother it with earth. There are a myriad of ways to work with the elements, but how you do it, and what you do with them, largely depends on you. Yes, you,” he repeated when she tilted her head.

“There are Elementalists whose primary goal is combat. A trained combat Elementalist can be devastating, even before the level of Master. They train to fight and reduce or divert their opponent’s spell, and particularly powerful ones just overwhelm the enemy entirely,” the Sunborn told her. “And then there are others that primarily prefer to impact their environment and the world around them. They are not ones that are inclined to use the discipline in a fight unless they absolutely have to; they prefer to work with soil and plants, as you might as a botanist, or increase water for people that need it, or work in mines to help ensure stability and safety of workers, along with a flow of air, coolness, and ventilation. Two ends of a spectrum, if you will,” he held up both hands as if weighing them. “Those that stick to one end of the spectrum do not necessarily do well on the other end. But since you are not training to become a Sentinel, and from what I can see you’re a civilian, I do wonder where you are at on this spectrum. Do you even know, Miss Chenzira? What is your goal with Elementalism?”

When she paused in her writing and looked hesitant, he offered her a smile. “There is nothing wrong with either path. Both are valuable,” he assured her. “There is no wrong answer. I ask you if you know what your goals are with this discipline so that I can help you achieve them. That’s my goal, to teach you how to use this magic in such a way that you will be successful with your own aspirations.”

She considered. When Dominus Æros had originally convinced her to acquire the Rune, it hadn’t been for combat. That hadn’t even come into it. It was for the world around her, to help her with her work with plants. To build on a bond with the mother that she barely remembered. To be able to help her people and improve upon the soil of their agricultural fields so that yield could be improved. But at the same time, she remembered the fact that she had been all but useless when her friends had risked their lives fighting that chaos-enhanced three-headed wyvern, and then again on the mount. The only thing she had been able to do was to pick up a pair of flanged maces and finish the jobs if her friends didn’t. And at the same time... they had to look after her. Everyone had their own strengths and weaknesses, true, but in those two specific incidents, she had not been of much help to anyone. In fact, she had been a liability. And Hilana wasn’t keen to continue to be a liability.

“Both,” Hilana said finally. “I want to master both. I want to be able to fight with it, and I want to be able to affect my environment. I need to be able to use it to protect myself and my friends if need be, and hold my own on a fight... but I want to be able to provide a positive impact for our people and our home,” she told him. “I know that that means it will be twice the work... but I will do it. I need to.” She had to become a friend to flame, as the Crownwyrm had said, and that was surely more environmental than combat; but she was not keen to always be the weakest link in the chain. Even if she took a supporting role as she usually did... she needed to at least be able to hold her own.

He eyed her appraisingly at her assessment. He could tell when he had first seen her that she was not someone used to combat and fighting. That she might do it on occasion, but in those long skirts of hers, she was more of a dancer than one with any ability to fight. Especially without any other Runes. “It will be a long road. It means training skills and your mind to respond to situations and coming up with tactics and battle understanding. You need to be sharp, you need to be cunning. You need to learn to think quickly on your toes, to be able to pivot and adjust and react. Further, you will need to develop a strong relationship with the elements, and nurture it. Have you had any practice in meditation?” Ævril wanted to know. Hilana shook her head to confirm the negative. “You should start. Even if it’s just a few minutes a day in the morning when you wake up, or if you have a bit of quiet time during the day at work, or whatever it is you are doing. There is a bookstore in the Under-Forum on Vicus Collis that has a small manual on meditation, and I highly recommend you head that way and go see if you can find a copy. It is not exhaustive, but it will assist you in your studies.”

The girl made a note in the front of the book, and Ævril took the opportunity to list a few more books that she might in fact find useful before opening the lesson to questions and answers. Once both of them were satisfied, he would lead her back out. She’d withstood the heat, but she was only just getting used to the fire. She had a long way to go, but Hilana was determined to see it through.

word count: 1809

Return to “The Umbrium”