Final day for sales

The Umbrium is the lower half and secondary seat of the Solunarian Capital and one of the dual-cities that comprises Solunarium Proper. Before the rise of Aværys, mining revealed the site of a ruined, underground city which they dubbed Oblitium “The Forgotten City”, the foundations of which were incorporated into what is now The Umbrium. Warmed by the magma that churns just behind the walls, the Umbrium houses the Palatium Umbrarum (The Shadow Palace) which was constructed directly beneath its sunlit counterpart, the Blazing Palace. This palace serves as the primary seat of government when the sovereign is moonborn, and houses the headquarters of The Silver Sentinels.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Cloud Caelum Garr
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=4191
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=4194

Frost 91 122

Garr was sitting at his desk, surrounded by paperwork and ledgers. He had been anticipating this meeting for weeks, and he was anxious about it. A potential buyer had expressed interest in purchasing some of his conditioned slaves, and Garr desperately needed to make a profit. He had invested a lot of time and money into their training and upkeep, but sales had been slow this season. The potential buyer was a tall, thin man with a slicked-back ponytail and a sharp clothes. He looked like he knew his way around a negotiation, and Garr felt intimidated by him. "So, Garr," the man began. "I've heard some good things about your conditioned slaves. I'm interested in purchasing a few for my own business."

Garr cleared his throat nervously. "Yes, sir, I have a few that I think would be suitable for your needs. They're all very well-trained and obedient."

The man nodded slowly. "Good, good. And how much are you asking for them?"

Garr consulted his ledger. "Well, sir, I was hoping to get at least 2600 for each one."

The man raised an eyebrow. "That seems a bit steep, don't you think?"

Garr felt his palms start to sweat. He had never been a good negotiator, and he was afraid of losing the sale altogether. "Well, sir, they are very well-trained, and they're in excellent condition. I assure you, they're worth every bit."

The man leaned back in his chair, studying Garr with a critical eye. "I see. And how many do you have available?"

Garr consulted his ledger again. "I have six that I think would be suitable for your needs. But I could maybe offer a discount if you buy them all at once."

The man smirked. "Ah, a discount. Now we're talking. How much of a discount are we talking about?"

Garr swallowed hard. He had never been good at math, and he didn't want to lowball himself. "Maybe 10% off the total price?"

The man stroked his chin thoughtfully. "That's still a lot of money. I'll tell you what. I'll offer you this much for all of them, and we'll call it a day."

Garr's heart sank. He had been hoping for a lot more than that. But he knew that he needed to make a sale, no matter how small. "Okay, sir. I'll accept your offer." He hoped that the price at least covered the expenses for feeding the slaves.

The man grinned. "Excellent. I'll have my people come by later today to pick them up. Pleasure doing business with you, Garr."

As the man got up to leave, Garr couldn't help but feel disappointed. He had hoped for a bigger profit, but he knew that he couldn't be too picky in his line of work. As he watched the man walk out the door, he couldn't help but wonder if he had made the right decision. But he knew that he had to keep moving forward, no matter how small the steps were.

Sometime later Garr stood in the center of the barn, surrounded by the group of slaves he was about to sell. He cleared his throat nervously and looked at them, trying to keep his emotions in check. "I'm afraid I have some news," he began, "I have decided to sell a few of you to a buyer who is interested in purchasing conditioned slaves. I know this is not ideal, but it is the only way for me to make a decent profit this season." Garr paused, waiting for a reaction from the group.

The slaves looked at each other in shock and disbelief. Some began to cry, while others simply looked down at their feet, defeated. Garr knew this was not easy news for them to hear. "I know this is hard for you to accept," he continued, "but I want you all to know that I appreciate your hard work and dedication. You have served me well, and I will ensure that you go to a good home."

He paused again, and then signaled for a few of the restaraunt workers he paid to bring in a large meal. "I have arranged for a feast for all of you," he said, "please enjoy it and know that I am grateful for everything you have done for me." The slaves began to eat, the sound of their spoons against the plates filling the room. Garr watched them for a few moments, a lump forming in his throat. He knew that he was doing the right thing, but it still didn't make it any easier.

Garr couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt as he watched the attractive slave eating her meal. He wondered if there was any way he could keep her for himself. She was a skilled slave and he found himself attracted to her in a way that he couldn't explain. However, he knew that he couldn't let his feelings get in the way of business. He needed to sell her in order to make ends meet. He had already made a small profit on the other slaves, but it wasn't enough to cover all of his expenses. As much as he hated the idea of selling her, he knew it was the only way to keep his business running.

He tried to convince himself that it was for the best, that she would be taken care of and would have a good life with her new owner. But he couldn't shake the feeling that he was betraying her in some way. He sighed and shook his head, knowing that he had to push those thoughts aside and focus on the task at hand. He finished his meal and stood up, ready to start preparing the slaves for the journey to their new home.

After the meal, Garr asked to speak to the attractive slave in private. They walked outside the barn and stood in silence for a moment. "I'm sorry that I have to sell you," Garr said finally, "I know that this is not what you wanted."

The slave looked at him, her eyes filled with sadness. "It's okay," she said softly, "I understand that you need to make a living."

Garr took a deep breath and then leaned in to kiss her. She hesitated for a moment, but then kissed him back, her hands sliding up to his shoulders. They stood there for a few moments, lost in the kiss, before finally pulling away.

"I'll miss you," Garr said quietly.

The slave smiled sadly, "I'll miss you too."

Garr carefully gathered some spare logs and stacked them up in a neat pile outside the barn. He focused his magic, channeling it into the pile of wood, and soon, sparks began to fly, igniting them and setting the larger logs ablaze. The fire grew larger and brighter, casting a warm and inviting glow on the surrounding area. The slaves, who were shivering from the cold, huddled around the fire, their hands stretched out to feel the warmth. Garr was pleased with his handiwork, and he added a few more logs to the fire to keep it going throughout the night. As the night wore on, Garr checked on the slaves and made sure they were fed and comfortable.

He could see the gratitude in their eyes as they ate their meager meal of bread and soup, their bellies warmed by the fire. Garr knew that he had to take care of his slaves, not just because it was his responsibility as their owner, but also because they were his livelihood. Without them, he would not be able to make a living. So, he used his elemental magic to create a comfortable and safe environment for them, ensuring that they were well-fed and taken care of.

Once the man came and led the slaves away to their next home, Garr approached the barn, taking in the disarray that surrounded the structure. He decided it was time to put his Elementalism powers to good use, both to improve the next slave's living conditions and to demonstrate his capabilities to himself. With a deep breath and a focused mind, Garr summoned the forces of wind and water, his hands moving gracefully as he directed the elements. A strong gust of wind swept through the barn, lifting layers of dust and debris into the air before carrying them away from the area, leaving a much cleaner and more orderly space in its wake.

The wind swirled around, effortlessly reaching even the most remote corners and crevices, dislodging stubborn dirt and grime that had accumulated over time. As the wind subsided, Garr shifted his attention to the water element, drawing forth a torrent of crystal-clear water from a nearby underground source. The water flowed under his command, weaving between the cracks and gaps in the barn's wooden floor, washing away the remaining filth with ease. As the water continued its work, Garr focused on controlling its flow and pressure, ensuring that every inch of the barn was meticulously cleaned, from the straw-covered floor to the cobweb-laden rafters above. The water's purifying touch seemed to breathe new life into the aged structure, leaving it fresh and rejuvenated. With a final flourish, Garr manipulated the wind once more, gently drying the barn's interior and leaving it pristine and welcoming for its occupants. As he surveyed his handiwork, Garr felt a sense of satisfaction in knowing that he had used his powers not only to improve the living conditions of his slaves but also to instill in them a sense of awe and respect for the elemental forces he wielded.
word count: 1651
Hikami
Title: The Iceborne
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=835
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20& ... 3686#p3686

Final day for sales

Points awarded:
  • 8 - Not for Magic
Lores:
  • Negotiation: trying to upsell your product
    Business: learning the importance of a good reputation
    Business: Selling in bulk to clear inventory
    Business: one has to factor in business expenses into one's prices
    Business: don't get too attached to your own product
    Business: sometimes it's personal
Loot:
  • N/A
Injuries:
  • N/A
Notes:
  • Great thread!
    If you feel I missed anything contact me and we will make adjustments!
    enjoy your rewards!
word count: 126

Return to “The Umbrium”