[Memory] Not to Die, but to Be Reborn

The many small villages of the Ecithian Commonwealth.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Laveriel
Title: The Dread Witch
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=936
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3186
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=941

Not to Die, but to Be Reborn
89th of Glade, Year 390 of the Age of Sundering

Nasyra knew something was terribly wrong when she spotted Knight-Sergeant Jerys Kern soaring through the skies, heading directly where the commanders’ tents were. He was part of Veriel’s team. They were not supposed to be back until a few more hours and he definitely shouldn’t have returned alone. With a sick feeling in her stomach, the woman broke into a run, following the avialae.

She arrived to hear the sergeant reporting what had happened to the higher-ups. Endrik was already there, his eyes intent but his expression unreadable. They were ushered together to form a rescue plan. Jerys was explaining what little information that he was given to him. Undead. Two cultists. Veriel sending everyone away to face them alone. The moment the sergeant pointed at a spot on the map, Endrik stormed out of the tent, ignoring everyone who called out to him. It was obvious what he was doing. Nasyra ran out just in time to see two great gray wings flap before the avialae shot into the sky.

All she could think was she was going to lose both of them. “You fucking idiot! Endrik! You’ll get yourself killed!”

But the avialae ignored her, didn’t even spare a look back. That idiot didn’t have any weapons on him. He wasn’t even wearing any armor.

--------------------------------------

She must be dead.

That was the first thought that came to her head when Nasyra landed her eyes on the figure in Endrik’s arms. Veriel’s head rested limply against the kathar’s chest, her black hair matted with dirt and blood. There were gashes in her armor, left by some claws that would tear through steel. Her left arm was hanging down, bent into an unnatural angle. But the most horrifying thing was the disfigured wooden stake protruding from her stomach. Every inch of her was drenched in red. The rise and fall of her chest was so shallow and far apart that she almost missed it.

The healers had been ready, waiting for Endrik’s return - including her. She opened her mouth to order them to bring Veriel to the tent but no sound could come out. A sob escaped instead. Knight-Captain Laregin, a healer also marked by Ioniri, took charge. She sent everyone to prepare for surgery and ordered the avialae to place the siltori on the bed.

When Nasyra finally looked up to see Endrik’s face... In all the years she had known him, this was the first time she had ever seen tears running down the knight-commander’s face.

--------------------------------------

First, she heard the rain, the thousand drops that shattered upon the earth. Then it was the rustling of clothes as people moved around, familiar voices murmuring in concern. Veriel tried to open her eyes. For a moment, it felt impossible - like someone had glued her eyes shut. Her heart pounded as panic shot through her. She started moving restlessly,

She didn’t know how long it took but when her eyelids finally flew open, her silvery-grey orbs were looking at three familiar faces. They were all standing over her with wide eyes. Nasyra, Thaddeus and… Lorgan? She looked around the room, but there was no one else. There was no denying the disappointment that settled in her chest.

Nasyra was the first to move. She fell onto her knees and grabbed the siltori’s hand. It was startling to see the tears pooling in her eyes. “I knew it. I knew you wouldn’t just leave us.”

“Leave? What are you talking about?” Her voice sounded like sandpaper. The siltori started to rise when a sharp pain flared in her stomach and she winced. Oh. Right. The memories of that day rushed into her mind like an avalanche. She turned to Lorgan. “Did everyone make it okay?”

“Easy,” Thaddeus said as he helped her into a sitting position, his hand on her back as support. It was almost funny how uncharacteristically gentle he was. She must have given them quite the scare. “Yeah, everyone is fine. We have even relocated the villagers to a nearby town. They all came to see and thank you while you were asleep.”

“That’s good to he-” She stopped as a cough seized her. Lorgan leaped to his feet and went around looking for a glass of water before finally handing it to her. The knight seemed mostly unharmed. Considering how fast he was pacing around, his ankle must have completely healed then.

Some time had clearly passed. “How long was I out?” She looked down at her own arms. Most of the bruises were almost invisible and her open wounds had been sewn together. She raised her left hand to brush away a strand of black hair that had fallen over her eyes but the movement felt stiff, almost heavy. At least, everything looked fine. Her stomach churned as she recalled how it had been deformed before. With her right hand, she raised the cup to her lips and drank slowly.

“Twenty days,” Lorgan chimed in, shifting on his feet nervously before. The guilt in his eyes was obvious. As she lowered the glass, he moved quickly to take it away from her.

She blinked. “What? Twenty?”

“You almost died, Veriel. You probably should have,” Nasyra said grimly, squeezing her hand gently before letting go. She started fidgeting with her braided brown hair. “When Endrik brought you back… You were barely breathing. People had been saying that the only reason you survived must be because of the mark.”

“What mark?”

Seeing her bewilderment, the three looked at each other. Nasyra suddenly stood up and started pushing Thaddeus towards the tent opening. “You should wait outside.” She pointed at Lorgan. “Go get Knight-Commander Shiryo. He would be pissed enough that he was not here when Veriel woke up. Let’s not add ‘failing to tell him she’s awake’ as fuel to his fire.”

Once the men were out, Veriel couldn’t help herself. “Where is he?”

“Knight-Commander Ordwil had to practically drag him out of here a few hours ago to attend a meeting with the other spellforgeds. Let me help you stand,” the half-dratori said gently as she moved to her side. Despite the pain, Veriel managed to throw her legs to the side of the bed. “In case you were wondering, Endrik had spent most of his free time glued to your bedside. He had been out of wits ever since he found you that day. He’s been glaring at everyone.”

Ah, so she was right then. The voice that called out her name just before she fainted was Ryo. Nasyra moved to stand in front of her and helped her up. It was awkward and they nearly fell three times, but eventually, Veriel managed to stand on her own two feet - well, while leaning on her friend slightly. Together, they shuffled across the room until they were standing in front of a mirror.

“You should take off the robe. You’ll see what we mean earlier,” the woman said softly.

Slowly, Veriel opened her robe. Someone had kindly put a breastband on her, but that wasn’t the thing that drew her eye. It was something below it. While a part of it was covered by the band, there was no mistaking the intricate golden sun drawn on the tip of her sternum, its arms flaring out. She let her finger brush against the marking. She couldn’t tell if she was imagining it, but it seemed to glow at her touch. “This is…”

“Eminence, yes. Arcas chose you,” Nasyra explained, looking proud. “When we took off all your clothes and saw the mark, I think everyone in the room stood frozen for a moment.” A justiciar wasn’t all that common, even in their ranks. There were quite a handful certainly, but few enough that most of the knights knew who exactly were marked. Veriel was not on that list.

It made the siltori smile a little. “People must have been shocked. The mage who curses people with horrendous deaths is favored by the god of hope and light.” Once in a while, the siltori would hear whispers from the people who thought her style of fighting was… distasteful, to put it mildly. Apparently, using trickery and curses was dishonorable and she should be ashamed. Of course, they were idiots. Why did matter what tool she used as long as she brought down the monsters? Still, Veriel was just as confused. “I… I remember a man approaching me, telling me that it wouldn’t be the day I did. That’s… Arcas? But why would he mark someone like me?”

“Other than you practically sacrificing your life for your comrades and a bunch of villagers?”

Veriel shook her head. Her hand went to the wound on her stomach. “It’s not like I chose to sacrifice myself. I went up against enemies and I wasn’t strong enough. It’s not some noble gesture, it just seems like the most logical option at the time.” It was their duty as dawnmartyrs, so that couldn’t possibly be the reason. “Most of the people here would have done the same. You would. Ryo would. Even Thaddeus.”

“You actually did it, though. Most people would have died from the wounds you sustained, but the Lightbringer chose to keep you alive. He must have his reasons.” She sighed and squeezed Veriel’s arm. “Rather than pondering over the reasoning of the divine, I’m just grateful you’re still here. What would have I done without you, Veriel?”

They both snapped their head to the tent entrance when they heard heavy footsteps coming closer. There were sounds of conversation and a very clear where is she.

Nasyra grinned. “Ah, he got here even faster than I expected. Better put your robe back on before that idiot barges in.”
Last edited by Laveriel on Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1755
Laveriel
Title: The Dread Witch
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=936
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3186
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=941

Fortunately for Veriel, no one tried to barge in until she was dressed and Nasyra finally called out to them. Ryo came in first, his gray wings blowing the opening wide open. His piercing blue eyes immediately locked on her and she couldn’t quite read them. It took her a second to realize that he was entirely soaked by the rain, his white-gold armor glistening courtesy to the water. “You’re really awake.” He paused, not even realizing that Thaddeus nearly crashed right into his wings.

The siltori gave him a sheepish smile. “Sorry for making everyone worry.”

He took a step towards her, arm raised as if to reach for her but then he dropped it. Instead, the avialae turned to Nasyra, scowling. As he moved, water dripped down from his wings. “What is she doing up? Shouldn’t she be resting?”

Before Veriel could assure him that she was fine, the female pathfinder was already snapping back - which of course she did. “Are you the healer here, Endrik? Are you accusing me of not knowing what I’m doing with my lovely patient here?” Nasyra was still letting Veriel lean on her, her arm steadying her. “She had been lying down for weeks. If she has the strength, she should start getting used to moving again. She’s a justiciar now, I think she can manage to walk at least five feet.”

Ryo blinked, looking like a son who had just been scolded by his mother. He ran his hand through his pale hair and sighed. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I was overreacting”

Despite her words, Nasyra was already leading Veriel back towards the bed. The wound on her stomach had started to ache as she walked. It was bearable, but annoying nevertheless. With a grunt, she hoisted both of her legs up while Nasyra helped pull the thin covers over them.

“It’s about time that you apologized to all of us,” Thaddeus said cheekily before tossing a towel from one of the cabinets at Ryo, which he caught with ease. The human male sat himself down on the edge of the bed, legs crossed. “You’ve been a menace to everyone in this camp.” He turned and whispered conspiratorially to Veriel. “He terrorized the healers the entire time they were treating you.”

The avialae rolled his eyes as he started drying his hair with the towel. “I wasn’t terrorizing them. I just wanted to see what they were doing.” He moved to the corner of the room and started to unstrap his gauntlet, removing his soaked armor piece by piece.

“Oh, you most certainly did. Everyone kept asking to keep you out of the clinic,” Nasyra chimed in.

“As if you’re any better, Nasyra. You’ve been yelling at the novices and helpers like an evil stepmother,” Thaddeus pointed out. He reached out his hand towards Ryo and droplets of water seeped out of the knight-commander’s clothes, his wings. “For once, I was the sound of reason, which had been terrifying, honestly.”

Veriel laughed, even though it pained her wound, a warm feeling started blooming inside her chest as they continued bickering. She had been so scared that she would never see them again, but she was lucky enough to be given another chance at life.

Nasyra shrugged and looked pointedly at Ryo. “At least I wasn’t the one who flew away like a madman without any plan or backup. The idiot was in common clothes and unarmed.”

“In my defense, I am never really unarmed.” By now, the avialae was almost entirely dry except for his hair. Thaddeus directed the blob of water he had collected to a chamber pot at the corner of the room. “And it was the right choice. Any later and she would have…” He trailed off, wincing slightly as he gave Veriel a dark gaze - as if he was reliving that day.

The healer scowled but didn’t protest, but the mood in the room sombered.

Veriel cleared her throat to break the silence. “Hey, I’m fine and I’m here now. That’s all that mattered.”

“You’re right. We should be celebrating,” Thaddeus said, clapping his hands together.

Nasyra snapped her fingers as if she had just gotten a great idea, her green eyes glinting brightly. “We were supposed to have dinner together on that day, right? I’ll make the rabbit stew to celebrate your rising from the dead now.” She pointed at Thaddeus. “You keep me dry as we go to the kitchens. Endrik, you should stay with Veriel.”

“What, no. I want to stay here. I just came back from a patrol, you know,” the man complained lightly. However, after a few minutes of back and forth, Thaddeus finally relented and followed Nasyra out with a scowl.

Now that there were only the two of them. Ryo dragged a chair to sit beside her. His wings rustled restlessly behind him and he stared at her for a while before finally saying, “I thought I lost you.” He cleared his throat awkwardly. “We all did.”

Some cold breeze managed to slip through the tent opening. The hair on her arms rose as she shivered slightly, reaching out for the thin fabric that was supposed to be her cover. Without a word, Ryo stood and went out - only to return a few minutes later with a thick blanket in his hands. The man sat on the edge of the bed and she felt the mattress dip under his weight. He wrapped the wool blanket tight around her shoulders, tucking her inside the thick fabric. Ryo was close enough that she could feel the warmth radiating from his body.

Veriel felt the blood rushing to her cheeks, flushing them with heat. The siltori couldn’t remember the last time they had been this close to each other. “Thank you.”

Instead of pulling back, Ryo kept his grip on the blanket around her. His blue eyes were as still as a lake and for a moment she wondered if she would drown in it. “Are you really okay?”

The siltori shrugged. “For someone who almost died, I think I turned out pretty fine, don’t you think?” She pressed her lips together before continuing. “I’m fine, really. This isn’t the first time and I doubt it will be the last time.” They both knew this well. From the moment they were initiated, it was drilled into every dawnmartyr that death was never far.

“It was my fault, you know,” Ryo said bitterly, looking down at his own tanned hands. She could see the vessels bulging as he tightened his grip. “Before they sent you away on the mission, they asked me if you’ll be alright traveling with novices or if they should send you with more experienced knights. I said you’d be fine. That you’ll be more than enough to cover for them. If you had gone with older members of the order, maybe things would have played out differently.”

“Technically, you weren’t wrong. I did make it in the end,” she reminded him. “All things considered, this is the best possible outcome don’t you think? Nobody died and the cultists are gone.”

For a brief moment, Ryo was silent. Then he suddenly straightened, looking at her intensely. “Will you tell me what happened?”

So, Veriel told him everything. The villagers. The undead. The kinetic and the summoner. She described the demon with a dozen arms to them, pointing out wounds that had come from it. Then there was how she almost died. But the most important of all was about the mysterious figure that had marked her with Eminence. Arcas. Ryo listened intently and she could practically hear the gears in her head turning. Why did the Menders try to lure dawnmartyrs to the village? If Veriel hadn’t defeated, what was their plan really? Those were things she should probably also ponder about if she was in better health.

“The last thing I heard was you, calling out my name.”

His jaw clenched at the memory. “When I first saw you, I thought you were gone. You didn’t move, didn’t make a sound. Yet, you were crying, tears kept running down your face.”

Veriel thought back to the cold fear that had seized her heart as she felt herself fading away. “I was scared. The times that I almost died before, I knew it was coming. Like the initiations… I knew the risks and I chose to gamble my life anyway. I knew for a long time that I might die.

“But this was different. Nothing was supposed to happen. I was supposed to come back to the camp. We were supposed to have dinner together and I-” Her breath hitched as she felt the lump growing in her throat. When she looked to him, Ryo’s eyes were gentle and understanding.

Perhaps the blow to her head had given her brain damage. Or perhaps the near-death experience had made her mad. Veriel didn’t know what she was thinking when she leaned forward, letting her head rest against his chest. She expected him to push her away, but he didn’t. Instead, his arms circled around her and he pulled her into him. His wings curved closer, shielding her from a nonexistent threat.

She had no idea how long they had stayed like that, just listening to each other breathing.

A hundred things went through her mind before she finally spoke, “Why did you do it? Flying to me without any armor or weapon or even a plan? You could have gotten yourself killed.” She knew, she knew he would have done the same if it was Nasyra or Thaddeus, but she needed to hear him say it. She needed the words to come out of his mouth before her stupid little heart started aching with hope.

Ryo was silent for a moment as he pulled back, his blue eyes searching hers. Like he was trying to see what kind of answer she was expecting from him. “I can’t let you die. That’s all I could think of.” He slipped a strand of black hair behind her ear before pulling himself away and rising from the bed. He moved to sit on the chair. “You should rest. I’ll wake you up once those two come back.”

It was probably better this way, but Veriel hated how she still felt a pang of disappointment when his warmth left her. She wanted to say that she wasn’t tired, but her eyelids had started to droop. It was slightly embarrassing how exhausted she was, but she lowered her head down onto the pillow. “You’ll stay?”

“Always.”
word count: 1836
Zora
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=4721
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=4756

Review

XP: 8

Magical XP: N/A

Loot: -

Injuries/Ailments: some injuries but since this is a memory thread I'm assuming she recovered just fine

Comments: I think you did a great job depicting everyone’s actions. I was never left wondering how a character felt or reacted. The story itself was pretty interesting too, what with her narrowly escaping death and everyone reacting to her surprising mark. Can’t wait to see what kinds of other stuff you get up to :P

Unlimited Power
word count: 125

Return to “Ecithian Villages”