We Ourselves Must Walk the Path [Solo]

In which Hilana takes Lia out on her camel.

Apart from the two major metropolitan centers in the kingdom, The Atraxian Expanse is home to tens of thousands of Solunarians. Some of the Vastii still hearken back to their days as nomads, roaming the open desert and braving its many trials, but most have formed settlements along the River Vasta or around nearby oases. Most of these settlements in the present day are completely self-governing, but there are a few in the vicinity of valuable resources, which are overseen by representatives of the greater kingdom. Unlike the two fortified cities of Solunarium and Tertium, many of these smaller settlements live under the constant threat of desert squalls, droughts and attacks from desert-dwelling predators, like Tusk Titans and wild wyverns.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Hilana Chenzira
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=3526
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3545
Letters: viewtopic.php?t=5196

44 Searing, Year 123

[Closed - Solo]

"You know, I think I can kind of understand why you like this so much," Athalia admitted as she sat behind her sister in Hayima'el's large saddle. "I was so young when we went to Tertium, but we did grow up on camelback, didn't we? He moves faster than the average camel, no?" she looked down at the piebald bull as Hilana was as relaxed as anything in the sunshade of the saddle.

"He does, yes," Hilana agreed with a nod. "He's larger than most, so his stride means he's going to eat up more distance with each step. I didn't think he'd be this big, because Sakima isn't large for a cow. She's just average-sized. Beautiful, but average. His sire isn't a giant either, but larger ones do come in the bloodline. I think Sakima's grand-sire was quite large. He wasn't a successful racer, but he wasn't meant to be. Too big for that. Hayima'el did well at the Derby, though. I trained him for it. We got lucky and placed well, but we needed to if I want to establish him as a viable stud."

"I know you don't want to hear this... but you really are our father's daughter." Lia told her gently. "You've got that same mind and aptitude for business and planning, Hilana. I'm not saying it as an insult, but a compliment."

"I thank you," Hilana chose to take her at her words. She didn't necessarily like the comparison, but she had heard it more than once from others. And she knew full well that with her stubbornness and pride that there were a lot of similarities between her and their father. But for all the fights and arguments that she had had with him, he was successful at what he had set out to do. Mostly. He hadn't managed to get her married yet, but that was going to be a big fight that was going to come sooner rather than later. She could only hope that she had bought herself some time.

word count: 384

Return to “The Atraxian Expanse”