[Memory] Pay in Blood (I)

a stroke of luck

Explore the Wildking's Forge and the vast open wilderness that covers the Region of Karnor.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Laveriel
Title: The Dread Witch
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=936
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3186
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=941

Pay in Blood I
66th of Searing, Year 108 of the Age of Steel
Part II

“We should go out the back door,” Laelithar said casually as he took another swig of beer from his mug. To most, the male elf would have looked relaxed and maybe a little tipsy. His face was flushed and his eyes heavy-lidded, but it was all an act. His low voice was steady as he continued. “That couple kept looking at us. Well, at you mostly.”

Veriel sighed as she ran her fingers through her hair in frustration. She was tempted to turn her head to see them, but that would be too obvious. A part of her wanted him to be wrong, but Laelithar was too good at his job to make such a mistake.

Still, this was the first inn they had found after weeks. They had managed to get some decent money from a group of bandits that tried to rob them last week. So when she had first spotted the modest two-story building standing on the side of the dirt road, Veriel had been ecstatic. A proper bed and hot meals were supposed to be in her future. Alas, the world dictated otherwise.

“It could be nothing. Maybe just a husband getting too interested in you and pissing off his wife. I doubt they would bring a pregnant woman to chase us down,” her companion offered as he noted her disappointment, but they both knew that no matter how exhausted they were, they couldn’t risk it.

“No, we should go. We can find another inn,” the siltori replied resolutely. As much as she wanted to enjoy some comfort, Veriel already knew that listening to Laelithar would always be in her best interest. Veriel was still getting used to being on the run - constantly looking over her shoulder, eyeing everyone as if they were the enemy, hiding in the most revolting places just to avoid detection - but her companion had been doing this ever since he joined the order.

There was no doubt in her mind that she would have been dead or captured if she had been alone and Laelithar probably knew that. He was the one who insisted on coming with her no matter how much she protested or tried to ditch him the first few weeks.

Once he stood, Laelithar offered his arm to her. The gesture was both to play into the husband-wife role they had told the innkeeper before and conceal the limp on her left leg she had been sporting since their last encounter with the Imperials. If she had access to necromantic tools, the bone would have healed at least ago, but alas being on the run meant they couldn’t afford such luxury.

After leaving coins on the table, they made their way to the exit. What greeted them as the door flew open was a light drizzle, the skies darkening above them. Veriel shot her arm out past the doorway, letting the small drops land on the palm of her hand. The gods sure do love messing with them.

“Don’t look so depressed,” Laelithar teased to lighten the mood, reaching out to pull up the hood of her cloak over her head. He tugged at his own hood next and slung his quiver across his back. “I promise I’ll find you a nice bed at a fancy inn in less than a week.”

Veriel smiled. “I’ll hold you to that.”

Just like that, they began walking down the muddy dirt road with their heads down. Her boots sunk into the uneven path, the earth trying to grab onto her. At least the rain was still light. If they were lucky, they might even find shelter before ending up completely soaked to their bones.

Veriel used to love the rain. On a quiet, rainy day, she would sit and watch through the window of her home as the water from the skies met the ocean waves. Ryo would always playfully shake her shoulders whenever she had been staring out too long. She could still picture the moment exactly - the weight of his hand, the warmth while he stood behind her.

These days, the rain meant traveling with damp hair and clothes at best and trudging under the pouring water if they couldn’t find shelter. Needless to say, the siltori was less fond of the weather.

She was already wondering which fate they were going to suffer today when suddenly a stranger’s voice broke through the drizzle. “Wait!”
Last edited by Laveriel on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 803
Laveriel
Title: The Dread Witch
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=936
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3186
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=941

The pair froze. Veriel looked up at her companion and he nodded. They would have to play dumb until they were sure that whoever it was an enemy. People tend to remember when fights break out and that would leave a trail for the Imperials to follow. She had learned that the hard way.

“Yes, how can I help you?” Laelithar started as they both turned to face the man. At a cursory glance, the only weapon the man had was the knife strapped to his belt. He was a young man well into his thirties with dark red hair and a beard to match. He was tall and well-built - it would make overpowering him a bit trickier.

A different voice answered from behind him instead. A woman’s voice. “Knight-Captain d’Revrinti!” Veriel felt her heart climbing up her throat as she squeezed Laelithar’s arm in anticipation. Should they just run now?

Stepping into view was the pregnant woman Laelithar had been talking about just now. A human female with short brown hair that barely brushed her shoulders. Her intelligent gray eyes regarded Veriel steadily. She walked over to them, surprisingly graceful despite her bulging belly.

Veriel blinked and then blinked again. It took her a moment to convince herself that she did know this person. Without even thinking, Veriel surged forward to embrace the younger woman. “Yelena!” She pulled back, once again looking at the familiar face with disbelief. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the tension leaving Laelithar. “You’re alive. We thought we lost you during the initial attack.”

The young human woman smiled and shook her head. “I got lucky and left the island early.” She had been one of Ryo’s students for a few years before the siege started. A talented spellforged with a knack for summoning - hence her apprenticeship with the knight-commander. It had been more than five years since Veriel had seen the girl. “I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw you sitting there! I thought I was seeing things. We’ve heard about what they did to Ailos and I thought…” She opened her mouth and closed it again, clearly unsure how to finish the sentence.

“I suppose I was lucky too,” Veriel said, sounding too bitter even to her own ears.

Yelena started scanning around them. “Where’s Commander Shiryo? Is he somewhere nearby?”

Years had passed, yet the same heart-tearing pain shot through her as she heard his name out loud. What Veriel said just now was wrong. She wasn’t lucky. The reason she was still alive was because Ryo had paid the ultimate price that day. There was no luck involved. Just blood.

The change in her mannerisms must have been abrupt because Yelena’s expression dropped. It seemed like age hadn’t made her a better actress. As she was opening to apologize, Veriel shook her head and gave her a wry smile. “He would have been glad to know that you’re safe.” Not wanting to let the silence stretch long, Veriel turned to Laelithar and gestured at him. “Yelena, let me introduce you to Knight-Lieutenant Laelithar Sol’Ilthuryn. He’s been with me since we left Ailos.”

Laelithar stepped forward with his easy smile, greeting the pair while the human man also introduced himself. It turned out that the man, Jeremie, was actually Yelena’s husband.

Much to her relief, Laelithat took over the conversation with ease and gave her the chance to breathe. He ushered the group back inside the inn as he began asking about Yelena’s escape. Although there was no one else inside besides the innkeeper, they kept their voices low.

A cargo ship from Atinaw had helped smuggle them out into the open sea and to Ailizane. Most of the Imperial forces were still focused on establishing the siege on the island so there hadn’t been much of a pursuit. Besides, the group consisted of ten low-ranking dawnmartyrs and the rest were civilians so their enemies didn’t bother.

With nowhere else to go, Yelena had brought the group to her uncle who was living in a village on the outskirts of the Deadlands and the people there had been kind enough to take in the Ailosians. For the past few years, they had simply integrated into the village as it thrived with the help of the mages. Many have left since then and only three dawnmartyrs stayed in the village - including Yelena. For intent and purposes, they were just an ordinary village now.

“Where are you two heading now?” the young woman asked once the innkeeper was done dropping off four bowls of unappetizing-looking stew that was supposed the house’s special for the day.

“Kalzasi,” Veriel finally chimed in, nudging a mysterious chunk of meat with her spoon. At least it smelled better than it looked.

Yelena raised an eyebrow in surprise. “That’s still a very long way to go. How long have you been traveling?”

The siltori shrugged and glanced at her companion. Honestly, Veriel had lost track of time. Most of the days just blurred together. All she knew was that the Imperials would come in every few weeks and overturn whatever safety they had. “Two years? Maybe three? We’ve been having a lot of… detours.” Since they were still being actively chased around, Laelithar made sure they stayed away from their final destination - which made sense, but frustrating nonetheless.

Yelena and Jeremie shared a look between them and nodded at each other. The man was the one to speak up, “You both should come back to the village with us. I have a cart, so it’ll only take a day or so.”

“I don’t think that’s the best idea,” Veriel started as she turned to Laelithar for help. “The Imperium have been tracking us just a few weeks ago.”

“If they’re stil around, they would have struck by now when you’re injured,” Yelena pointed out. It was what Veriel and Laelithar had also concluded for themselves, but it was still a risk.

Laelithar joined in and she could see the gears turning inside his head. “There is still a chance that they’ll find us again. If they find us in your village, it’ll cause some trouble. It can get dangerous”

“We’re not entirely defenseless, you know. We have wards and glamours set up. You won’t find a safer place nearby.” She lifted her wooden and pointed at both of them. “You don’t have anywhere to go. You’re injured and you don’t even have horses to travel. Stay with us for a bit, at least until your foot is healed.”

“We have a doctor who usually comes in once a week, he can probably help,” Jeremie added. “You’ll heal sooner and it will be better than limping around in a forest for weeks.”

To hammer their point home, Yelena continued, “You know you’re putting yourselves at risk traveling out in the open in that condition. You’ll slow Laelithar down.”

Whether Yelena realized it or not, she had successfully struck a chord in the siltori. It would be safer for them to stay with people while she was still injured. If the two of them were ambushed in the wilderness, her movements would be limited and experience had taught her that her companion would refuse to leave her behind.

With a sigh, Veriel looked between all of them and finally smiled. “Alright then. It seems like no sleeping on the dirt for us.”
word count: 1303

Return to “The Northern Wilds”