A Distant Memory

High City of the Northlands

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Nathan Cross
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1929
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1991

Nathan turned, finding the portal vanished without a trace as if it had never existed. The room enveloped him, an eerie sensation of familiarity settling in. Steadying his breath, he ventured cautiously, taking in his surroundings. One striking absence caught his attention immediately – the distinct scent of burnt wood was conspicuously absent.

Approaching the fireplace, Nathan's gaze drifted to a painting adorning the wall. "Interesting," he murmured to himself, leaning in for a closer look. It depicted Zaichaer, albeit a version he didn't recognize entirely. Familiar landmarks hinted at recognition, yet the scene felt oddly unfamiliar, yet familiar in a haunting way. Turning to another painting, this one of the Old Church, Nathan couldn't help but notice its grandeur, far removed from the ruins he remembered.

Squinting at a painting of figures before the Old Church, Nathan's brow furrowed in confusion. Were they even living beings? He blinked, rubbing his eyes, trying to discern more detail, but to no avail. Returning his gaze to the Zaichaer painting, Nathan's confusion deepened. Hadn't he just seen it? Yet now, it seemed subtly different.

Turning his attention to the trophies, Nathan's train of thought derailed at the sight of a peculiar moose. "What?" he muttered, rubbing his eyes in disbelief. Despite his confusion, he dismissed it, continuing his exploration while intermittently acknowledging his unseen host.

The sound of approaching footsteps jolted Nathan from his reverie. Swallowing hard, he turned to face the newcomer, wondering if it was Eshar. "Yes, I'm Nathan Cross," he replied with a courteous bow, eyeing the figure before him. "And are you... Eshar, I presume?"

Producing the key, Nathan held it forth. "I've brought the Key," he affirmed, noting the figure's mention of his father's lateness with a hint of sadness. "Almost as late? Well, my father couldn't be any more late than this, since he had long departed the world." he replied, seeking any flicker of emotion in the enigmatic person's face. "So, what's this consultation about?" he inquired, his tone a mix of curiosity and anticipation.
word count: 353
Rune
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3831

"I am."

The smile that accompanied this statement was sharp but not unfriendly for it and there was a little tilt of the head that implied a bow without actually being one. A little frown creased brow and mouth both as they conversation turned to the elder Cross.

"I was sorry that he was lost. I was unavoidably detained dealing with the disaster myself at the time. I would have done something, were I able. I know that can't mean much now."

A shadow crossed the pretty face, of pain and loss, but it passed. Looking down at the proffered Key, Eshar quirked a brow.

"You do indeed, couldn't have gotten here without it. But while the one it was intended for would have come to discuss business with me, I don't have any business with you. Yet. Come."

Gesturing towards the fireplace, where two large, comfortable chairs were not flanking it, the host moved over and sat, indicating that Nathan was to sit as well, should he want. Once they were both settled, Eshar looked the younger Cross deeply in the eyes and said,

"So, what is it you want?"

The words were somehow as deep as the stare, which was somehow deeper than Nathan himself. They wrapped around him and gently but inexorably reached for the deepest desires he contained, drawing them up and pulling them from his lips.
word count: 242

Return to “Zaichaer”