Dragons of a Scale

Akantha, Kala

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Hekatos

Dragons of a Scale

57th of Glade, 124th Year of the Age of Steel

The network of Rift Gates that had unbound their original empire were gone, but the elves were still masters of translocation. Especially for the powerful, travel was no undue strain. As such, Princess Akantha's attendance at Prince Skärlon's nameday party was expected. All she had to do was walk through a portal. So long as she wasn't wearing a pair of her ballet boots, she ought to be fine.

Any event that brought the entirety of the Court of Princes together was well-guarded, magically and otherwise, and attracted the wealthy and the powerful like moths to a flame. Skärlon's court was spartan compared to that of the royal capital, but that was befitting the duties of his family.

Akantha was in all things fashionable, and that evening, she was fashionably late. Barely into her rounds, she noticed her father speaking rather animatedly—for him—with Prince Salmakis Val'Mystra and some lucky woman who had managed to engage two princes regnant in a private conversation. The woman's back was to the princess, and so she could only admire the cut of her dress, which clung to her body in a way that made the most of few curves.

She caught her father's eye and his green eyes flashed with new pleasure as he raised a hand to beckon her over. As she approached, she felt a keening against her arcane senses, which she would recognize as the signature of an artefact used to preserve the identity in a myriad of ways. When she strode into its field, she saw why: from the woman's back sprouted white wings, their golden patina gilt with platinum paint to match what she now saw was a dress made of the most delicate scale mail. It looked almost as if it were fashioned from mithril, but even Akantha wouldn't dare ask for so queenly a gift upon her nameday.

A fellow flesh-worker, then. Wings weren't terribly difficult to fashion once one had attuned to birds, though the amount of reworking of the musculature of the chest and back, the ridiculous wingspan required for flight made it less common than one might imagine. She was a tiny thing, too. But her clever work made her look almost like a diminutive Avialae woman if such a thing existed.

As the woman turned Akantha's eyes were drawn to the delicate scale mail cowl, fringed with a sort of veil made of stylized blades. One would hope they weren't sharp, glittering as they were before pale blue eyes. The woman bowed to Akantha, while Akantha's father merely cleared his throat meaningfully. He needn't have bothered, of course. Salmakis was a Maker and had also been beguiled by the misleading simplicity of her party attire.

But Ailuin wasn't going to introduce her until Akantha had greeted the king and prince who outranked the strange woman.
word count: 562
Akantha SolEilran
Title: Princess
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=5383
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=5384

Akantha had elected not to wear one of her many pairs of en pointe ballet boots, simply because she did know where she was going, and the floors were less than ideal for that sort of footwear. While she could in a pinch, the Princess was not about to run the risk of making a fool of herself at such a fete. As it was, the silk gown had been designed to be paired with a specific pair of silvery high-heeled boots, and anything shorter would not have had the desired effect that the designer had come up with for her. She was already tall, but with the extra height and the twists and swirls of fabric ...

When the Princess walked through the portal, there was no question at all as to who the newest arrival was, even though she wore a silver mask over the bottom half of her face - the gown said it all. While the silk was quite sheer, nothing showed beneath it, and a rather unique, precisely-cut geometric pattern had been painstakingly applied - some sort of solidified gel, it seemed, likely something made with Alchemy - in such a pattern that it highlighted her physique. The appliques were positioned over the torso, upper arms, and back, in a gradient hue from silver to black. Carefully styled, shaped, and hand-pleated silk flowed down to match the gradient, from white at the shoulders to black hems. Her usual aerolyth dragonshard trick was well at play here, allowing the train to flow without dragging upon the stone floor.

Her hair was drawn back and woven into a rather complex braided bun, which allowed her to show off the adornments on her pointed ears. They matched the mask, bespoke to fit just so, and held a number of delicate strings of crystal beads that matched the Princess's cascading earrings. Her nails were painted, shimmering under the lights around them, and she was all too happy to begin her rounds and let people look at her. She greeted Prince Skärlon, offering wishes for a wonderful year ahead of him and many happy returns, and Akantha would continue on when she saw her royal father's gesture. And immediately, his firstborn started for him. If she was surprised to see the wings once she was within range, she did not show it.

She did greet others as she made her way there, but she did not linger with them as she might have otherwise. She would, of course, be back. "Your Royal Majesty," she greeted Ailuin first, as was proper, inclining her head and shoulders to him. "Your Highness," she greeted Prince Salmakis next, with another nod, though not quite as deep as the one she had given to her Sire, and turned her attention to the diminutive flesh-shaper who had engaged both of them. "What a beautiful gown - it suits every part of you. My compliments to your tailor," there was sincerity from the Princess of Thorns, and approval in her voice as she looked her over. "It accentuates your wings so well - why hide them?"

"There is no rose without a thorn."
word count: 565
Kala Leukos
Title: Lady
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=933
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=934

Ailuin and Salmakis nodded to her.

"Your Highness," the prince greeted, their speaking voice of a lovely timbre. Sometimes, they sang publicly, although it depended upon their mood.

"Look closer, Daughter," Ailuin suggested, even as the mail-glad lady bowed low to the princess. "This is Lady Kala of House Leukos, Vice-Minister of Finance from Kalzasi. My lady, may I present my daughter, Princess Akantha." Her house needn't be reiterated; she was his daughter.

As Kala rose, she brought down some of her semblance wards, enough for Akantha to sense what all those wards were for: she was Avialae. There were no known Avialae since Garel the Necromancer had disappeared. A political animal, Akantha would immediately suss the need for secrecy. The Gelerian Imperium would break international law for such a creature on the off chance that she would strengthen their slave army.

She would also sense the occasional work of aeromancy to keep her metallic gown draping just so. Though the cowl hid her ears, she was clearly not of elven blood--at least, not within recent ancestry, and despite humanity being an unfortunate branch from the Hytori trunk. Still, her father must have been quite impressed to have invited her to such a party and invest such magical precautions on her behalf rather than sending her to while away the nighttime hours in the Enclave.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Highness," she said smoothly, her voice soft, yet audible over the noise of the other guests. "And I thank you. Your royal father was kind enough to have a portal opened to Kalzasi so I could fetch it. I was not anticipating the need." Pale blue eyes traveled over Akantha's gown as well, curious, intrigued. Her face was likely too open for a successful diplomat, but she didn't bother to hide her own appreciation.

"Now I know I will have to come prepared if ever I am so fortunate as to return. You look stunning." It was succinct, but sincere. "And... well... the wings are a long story. The former Queen-Regent wanted to protect me, and our current Shokaze attempts the same. I do try to comply with their wishes, but what good are wings if a woman isn't allowed to spread them from time to time?"

The princes chuckled.

"Her twin is currently giving our winged soldiers a run for their money in the aerial agility courses," Ailuin supplied. "Lady Kala shows enough of an innate sense of decorum that I thought to allow her an inside look at our revelries. Also, I thought you might enjoy her wardrobe."
word count: 442
I tell you: one must still have chaos within oneself,
to give birth to a dancing star.

Akantha SolEilran

When Kala bowed to her, she nodded her head to her. At Ailuin's suggestion, Akantha did begin to study their guest. Her mother had drummed it into her from even before she gave her firstborn her Rune that it was impolite and highly improper to Semble guests at parties like this, or other events - their outfits, maybe, but the people themselves, no. She focused now, letting aether flow through her Semblance Rune and looking over the foreign noblewoman anew with the surplus of information that became available to her. There was still a number of wards that threw up blocks, and the Princess didn't even attempt to try to bypass those. Any attempt to do so would likely be felt, and she wasn't about to ruffle feathers at a gathering. Her father had brought her around those whom almost no outsider ever got such easy access to, and a nameday celebration no less, and that meant that there was something about her that she needed to look at closely.

And the fact she was the first and only female Avialae in living memory, if ever, was certainly something to take a note of.

So they weren't flesh-shaped, like something she could make with Animus, but they were her actual wings. And that was utterly fascinating - she had to admire them; her own attempts at wings were presently nothing like that. She had worked on building her own, studying the anatomy and changing her own musculature under the guidance of tutors in order to try to emulate those of the winged guard that she watched fly, and some of whom were nearby while she made her own attempts in a form that wasn't purely osprey. The blonde Hytori chose to cease her investigation of Kala's aura, and her blue eyes blinked back to normal.

Although the bottom half of her face was covered by her mask, what was visible was clearly pleased that Kala recognized the style in the gown that the Princess of Thorns wore. "I am glad that he did. It is utterly visionary. Are you also a connoisseur of couture?" She was going to remember this dress, and see about getting it recreated and adjusted. When she had been Sembling, that had definitely been worth a glance. She certainly wanted something like it, though perhaps a different cut and with a corset... But her father knew her so well, and getting a look at what the children were doing in Kalzasi was always beneficial without needing to make the trip. Doubtless her father's favourite and his priest would bring her back a thing or three to investigate. Or, at least, some names.

"I understand. Such precautions are wise," Akantha agreed. "Your brother may fly with the guard, but if stretching your wings in secrecy is something that you would enjoy, perhaps some time during your stay you might visit my flight nook with me." Clearly, she was gratified by the praise, because she had yet to ever invite anyone there. Blocked off, warded, secure, and assisted by some trusted Avialae soldiers... It was one thing to attempt flight as a bird; it was another thing to practice forming wings in her Hytori form and trying to fly that way. "How long will you be staying in Silfanore, Lady Kala?"

word count: 604
Kala Leukos

"It would be hubris, I think," Kala replied, "to call myself a connoisseur, but I have become an appréciateur, at least. My brother and I grew up rather isolated in the Astralar Mountains. I know the traditions and history of costume and dress for the people of Starfall, as well as... well, constantly outdated fashions from Kalzasi. House Leukos tends to keep to itself."

The princes smiled quietly to each other and, quite possibly, kept up a running commentary within the sanctity of their minds. Neither interrupted, though, nor seemed upset as the young lady monologued on the special interest.

"At eighteen, we were sent to Kalzasi to further our educations and to take up some of the family affairs, and as a relatively cosmopolitan city, I was exposed to a great deal more. I was a dancer in my youth, and so I frequently attend the Golden Peacock Theater, and my recent work within the Ministry has allowed for more travel and more exposure as well. Perhaps someday I will qualify as a connoisseur. And..."

She glanced askance at the king.

"Well, my trip wasn't planned to be long at all, but some of that depends on His Majesty's ministers, as well." She smiled, hoping she would leave with at least a tenuous trade agreement. While she could understand the Hytori reticence to interact with the outside world--after all, Starfall was insular to protect its own secrets; how much more would the remnants of the Boundless Empire hold?--she did think it could be a mutually beneficial arrangement. "But I am also only a portal away."

Whether a portal was opened by some Hytori traveler or they gave Indric a travel key through their wards, the distance between them was really nothing.

"And I would be delighted to see your flight nook. No doubt my brother Kaus is currently inviting the entirety of your winged army to train with us in our mountains." Her smile was fond for her twin, of course, but she knew him better than anyone did.
word count: 345

Akantha SolEilran

The Princes may have been amused, but Akantha was quite intent and interested in what their foreign guest had to say. Their way of doing things was alike and different from the form of government that she had grown up with and was learning now at her father's side. The other woman seemed to be younger than she, but that spoke to her determination and and ambition. She may have been young, but all the same, she had managed to get herself to a position of Vice-Minister. Finance tended to be a difficult post at the best of times - certain minds were suited to it; they were the exception rather than the rule. If she was in a position to negotiate trade agreements with other nations, then that was no mere token position conveyed upon her for her status as the only female Avialae in Karnor, or anywhere else.

Good.

She didn't know exactly where Starfall was; the geography of the various city-states of Karnor had been touched upon in her lessons. But if she had to guess, it was due north of Kalzasi. The greater emphasis in her own education had been upon the balance of power between those states and territories in the northern country, along with the governmental structures. And meeting Lady Kala was an interesting window into that little corner of the world. "Would you say that the traditions of your culture have influenced this gown? Or does the inspiration draw from something else?" Perhaps the way it was almost akin to armour, especially with the headpiece, meant that she was protecting secrets. The way it went with her wings and the accents...

She realized she may have been something of a homebody in comparison, but that did not bother the Princess. She had little desire to see the world beyond their Empire; Sol'Valen was everything. Everything she needed and wanted was right here. Perhaps that would one day change; but for the time being, she was quite happy at home. What friends she had made amongst the foreign elite tended to be invited back rather than her venturing abroad. But perhaps she would have to see the tailor that had designed Lady Kala's dress. And if this was a good example of her overall wardrobe, well...

She was intrigued, and that rarely ever happened.

"Well, perhaps I will ask them to take their time so that you may stay a few days," the Princess remarked with some amusement. Not that she was about to get involved in business meetings; if it was good for the Kingdom, then that was the important thing. Whatever it meant for the world outside was something else. But Kala's emotions when she spoke of her twin brother came through, and Akantha smiled behind her mask. She had the same affection for her own younger siblings, and at the idea that her brother was inviting the Avialae division to visit and train in foreign mountains made the Princess of Thorns laugh. "I have no doubt that he would. It is exhilarating to watch them at work even here, though I imagine that in somewhere as rugged as the Astralar Mountains, that would be an excellent challenge and test of skill, no? Is the climate prone to a great deal of tulmultuousness so far to the north?" In general, if the weather was awful... an Elementalist would clean out around her nook before she took flight if she was determined to go right then rather than waiting for a better opportunity; but that was a rare occurrence here.

word count: 648
Kala Leukos

"The veil hearkens back to the tribal headdresses of the mountain people my family rules," she said. "And there is a silk cloak that goes with this dress... A silver just a shade or two darker to offset the sheen of the metal. Silk isn't warm enough for the mountains, but the cut is similar to mountain cloaks, especially ceremonial ones. The dress itself is more contemporary, more cosmopolitan. Our traditions favor interesting silhouettes; something this form-fitting would be rare. The family runeforger worked with a Kalzasern seamstress to make the... fabric. Delicate work, but they are masters of their crafts. Thankfully, it does not pinch."

The veil obscured, but did not hide. Her smile at the plot to extend her stay was genuine.

"I would not mind extended negotiations, especially if they lead to mutually beneficial agreements."

As for the climate of the Astralar Mountains, "If my studies of geology haven't failed me, our mountains are younger than yours, so there hasn't been as much time to wear down their sharp edges. Summers are brief, although we hadn't a summer at all this year. Our wardings aren't as extensive as those of Sol'Valen, but neither is our population so great. One valley was warded for crops, and our greenhouses were fortified. Our people have gone lean, but not starved. Thankfully, spring has sprung and we hope those hardships are behind us for the time being. But certainly, the air currents in our mountains prove treacherous. Perhaps that is why my brother's agility in the air outstrips that of many of the Skyguard. But every place has its own weather. There are challenges to deserts and seas and all. I am still learning them myself.

"We were happy to find your Avialae so well-integrated into Hytori society. So much of our focus—other than upon the Synnekar—has been on the injustice done to our Kathar kin. In Kalzasi, I was Avialae first and human second, before and after I had wings. Here, they are Hytori first and Avialae as an afterthought, which seemed strange at first, but only because it was a new perspective."
word count: 364

Akantha SolEilran

Akantha nodded along as she listened to Kala discussing the cultural influence of her homeland on the gown and outfit overall. This was a delightful way of being introduced to a foreign culture that she was utterly unfamiliar with; fashion. What their foreign visitor was saying helped her get a picture in her head about how one might dress in the remote Karnorian mountains, with the cloaks, attire, and fabric and materials. She would have to find out what the silhouettes tended towards, her initial assumption was something robe-like and bulkier to help protect against the inclement elements; but perhaps they were larger and more pronounced than that. She knew where her own imagination might take her was utterly unreasonable, but she had nurtured a very creative

She was certain that her father and Prince Salmakis were deeply amused by this whole conversation, but passion was passion. Beyond that… it was a nice bridge, and this was part of what Akantha was supposed to be doing: building relationships. It just made it so very easy that the Lady from Starfall was interesting and vivacious. “It is good that it doesn’t pinch, I was wondering if it did. That is a display of talented runeforging and skilled craftsmanship that it didn’t need to be accentuated with wards to assist you in wearing it.” Silk, after all, could make a perfectly fine cloak… with the right additions. Just like a metal dress could be a perfect gala gown... with the right additions.

As Kala explained her homeland’s response to the Eclipse, the Princess of Thorns was interested. She knew that the upstarts across the sea had wreaked havoc on the naturally arid environment of their desert, that the Orkhan of the jungle had near drowned, Kalzasi and Zaichaer had continued on, the Geleran Imperium continued its disastrous existence to the great disappointment of many, and every other region ranged somewhere between the extremes. Their own mages had done wards to try to balance the ecology of the world around them and what was required for their people to continue and thrive, and she felt they had done an admirable job. “That is pleasing to hear - that your people made it through this dark year. It has been arduous, and a test of will and endurance... but things will improve, I'm certain of it." Whatever caused it was surely still a concern, but not for here at a nameday celebration. There was a place for everything, after all.

She seemed rather thoughtful at the demigoddess's description of the Astralar Mountains as compared to her homeland. That did make sense. Time and air had helped the mountains of Sol'Valen to settle, and they were surely more temperate from the influence of the waters nearby. Whereas something that was more landlocked and so far north... well. With such powerful forces opposing you, you did learn how to fly that way, and those forged in such trials performed even better with an atmosphere that was less difficult. "Perhaps it would be a good idea for some of ours to go and experience the weather of Starfall." She was not about to even consider attempting it, but someone could tell her about it later, or emulate it in some sort of room so that she didn't fall and break her wings-arms-bones. She'd need a lot more dragonshards than she usually used to defy physics in that sort of environment. An osprey was not particularly suited to such things, even if they were one of the larger birds of prey.

To her last point, though, Akantha's lips quirked behind her mask. The winged cohort were, of course, Hytori first. If one had the option to be... why would they choose anything else? But to be fair, those who had become Avialae were very recognizable still - they were Hytori with wings. All the same, that was not something to say in front of mixed company. Her tone was more serious. "What the Imperium has done is reprehensible and abhorrent. I understand there are a number of our own enslaved there... and the time will come for their freedom. Our winged people are of course Hytori... Changed, certainly... but they are still Hytori."

word count: 760
Kala Leukos

"The people of Starfall do seem resourceful," Ailuin noted, ostensibly to Salmakis, though they weren't excluding princess and foreign lady. He did not deign to comment upon the westerly empire.

"With admirable craftspeople," Salkmakis agreed, a Maker who appreciated how much effort and expertise went into both women's attire. When they found themself speaking only to Akantha, fashion was generally their point of inception. The prince understood aesthetics and was fundamentally interested in how such aesthetics were engineered.

"I thank Your Highnesses for your esteem," she said graciously, deftly adapting to the changing circumstances of rank within Sol'Valen. Here in Aerion as a guest at a royal party, he was more the prince of Tronóridan, equal of Salmakis, Skärlon, Achiroë, and the others than their sovereign. Indeed, if anyone was paid deference in Aerion, it was the twins Val'Kor. There were even some circumstances in which the princely players we called Sol'Hytori in their own realms, but this was no such event.

She wanted to follow up on Akantha's moral outrage, wondering if she might ever be able to enlist these sovereign princes to levy their power to at least negotiate the release of willing Hytori-Avialae. This would not solve her problem, which was the entirety of her Kathar cousins, but it would be a great victory. Now was not the time, though. Patience was a virtue and Mother Naori was teaching her the long-view of the divine. It was painful, but necessary.

For now, she would do her best to charm as diplomats were wont to do, even if trade negotiations bored many a soul. Kala rather wondered if she would ever meet Avenna herself, even if the Hytori eschewed the aven and the Guild of Coin. The young Avialae could appreciate the elves wanting to do things their own way, though she did hope they would relax enough to engage in more permanent communication and trade with the outside world. History focused on battles, but she had read the drier ones and knew that economic pressure could be used with more elegance than armies.

"Well, Starfall is not opulent, but the mountains are harsh taskmasters and I would agree with Your Highness that it has made us resourceful. But I would happily share our humble hospitality with friends from abroad."
word count: 392

Akantha SolEilran

Akantha did hear the undertones in the remarks from her father and Prince Salmakis when they were stirred to remark upon far more neutral and appropriate parts of the conversation at hand. Politics was one of those topics that were best left alone at a party, especially one like this, and their gentle diversions were a good reminder of that fact. She heard them, and took the hint. It was something to follow up with on another day, on another time. It may have been a common thread between them, along with fashion trends and couture, but that sort of involvement would take more time to get to know each other with.

Instead, back to Lady Kala. And her utterly marvelous dress. She wondered if Prince Salmakis had figured it out yet from being in such proximity, because if there was one she could go to for explanations on such processes, it was them. Wouldn't be the first time, and it definitely wouldn't be the last, but that, too, was a topic for another day...

She wasn't sure what sort of hospitality there would be in the mountains, but if she ever went somewhere, she would certainly have to talk to one of her parents about that mobile Akanthoikos that she'd heard them joke about some time back. She didn't know if they ever got around to making it, considering their firstborn was thus far utterly disinclined to leave Sol'Valen, but she would have to find out. Granted, she'd made acquaintances and perhaps casual friends with those her age who had visited, but there was always the undercurrent of politicking in the shadows. And as her mother and maternal uncle reminded her regularly, she needed to be mindful of that.

"What drew you to such a portfolio?" the Princess inquired. "Was economics something that intrigued you from your education? It does seem like it would have more of an opportunity for travel to other regions than some of the other positions that I could think of... was that a benefit for you?" It was a curiosity, how such placements were granted and given by other governments. Lady Kala did clearly have some connections, considering her mention of the Queen-Regent, but Akantha didn't quite know if that came from having wings or previous interactions. Time would tell, perhaps, maybe with some extra wine, but she wouldn't pry more than what was appropriate.

Not yet, at least.

word count: 460

Return to “Sol'Valen”