We Need An Artist [Solo]

Explore the Wildking's Forge and the vast open wilderness that covers the Region of Karnor.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Pahoran
Title: He Who Stands Tall and Proud
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=974
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1008

15th of Glade 121 AoS

Pahoran walked through the streets of the Commons in a effort to locate a some time customer of theirs. With him came his mother Ruthora who was more familiar with all of the families’ customers as she was one of the faces of the business. His mother walked with a firm step beside him and Pah walked confidently by her. He was aware of the office location but mainly due to his time spent patrolling the streets as a Sky Guard so it was that he could walk with her. He looked over at his mother and could see the hints of stress in the corners of her eyes.

Pah suspected these past few days had been very much a trial for the mother of six. Three of her sons and her father had all been part of the recent battle with the Inquisitor. While they were alive not with out effects. Pah was fairly sure that his mother had, had a few nightmares in the days following. One of her son’s was still held up with a injured wing, that would heal with time, but still left her worried. Her youngest son had also been brought into the fight sooner then she felt he was ready for it. There was now also talk that Paldin after those events would be ready to become take the test.

Pah was aware that their was himself as well. He was the only one who had decided to join the Sky guard and so wasn’t under her constant care. The young man knew his mother was proud of him, and had encouraged him the whole time when he made his decision but he also saw how often she asked after him. He also though that she might also feel a bit worried that he wasn’t yet seeing someone.

The two stopped at about the same time as they found themselves at their destination. It was a construction firm. Pahoran opened the door and allowed his mother to step in first. They stepped into a shop that was a cross between an office and a warehouse of construction odds and ends. Pah ice blue eyes stopped and looked around. He noticed a variety of work, some of it beautifully made and others of it much more simple but still beautiful in its quality. The two wondered around the room for a few minutes as they didn’t see anyone behind the desk. Both made sure to make enough noise to be head with out trying to shout the place down.

After a few minutes they found themselves being approached by the sound of two heavy boots. One set of blue eyes and one set of gold eyes honed in on the sound and soon saw the dwarf they were looking for come out of the back. The two smiled at the same time, and while Pah had inherited much of his father’s looks, amplified by his elvish mother, this smile was something his mother had given him. The owner looked up and recognized both of them and gave them his best smile. “Why it’s my favorite transporters.” It was true, once he had discovered them he liked to use them for projects out of town. While they didn’t bring in the raw stone into the city, they had on several occasions rushed critical pieces to sites for him, or even more often as not just made sure all the other supplies he needed made it to from the estates he worked on safely.

The family liked the dwarf as while an excellent craftsman would take any customer and price according to the project. Basically, he was the kind of person they enjoyed associating with. He was passionate about his work but didn’t put on airs. He would help those in need, but not in a way that was embarrassing to his struggling clients. “And her is my favorite builder.” Ruthora replied back. The dwarf Lorward grinned at Pah then.

“How are you doing boy?” He said. “I have seen that you have joined the Sky Guard. Seen ya pass by some times. I also saw your waves.”

Pah smiled. “I am good. You knocked sense into anyone else recently?” Pah said and the dwarf laughed both of them remembering Lorward’s lesson to the boy when he was a younger idiot.

“It has been a while since I had the chance to come visit you all.” He said and motioned for them to sit at the desk. Once everyone was settled, Pah had to retrieve on of the backless chairs. “So what can I do for you?”

Pah leaned forward and said. “Loward I have decided to settle down.” Pah said with a perfectly straight face.

“Well you can’t get much more settled then the Fortress.” The dwarf said with a straight face but a twinkle in his eyes.

“But I am going to make the clan settle with me.” Pah said his eyes dancing.

“Pfft. That will be the day.”

Pah smiled but then let it drop and he looked at his mother and the two both faced the dwarf with all seriousness. “Joking aside, we really have found a place we want to settle in. It fits us well a quiet place that is in the woods and away from the chaos of the city.” The dwarf watched them with a serious face now. “We have actually found an existing homestead, but its been neglected for a while and needs some fixing up.”

“Something that requires putting stones back in place.” The dwarf said understanding.

“We need someone who could do more then just put stones back in place. We need someone who is able to understand the stones, catch those weakness others would miss.” Ruthora joined in and leaned forward. “Our new home was meant to survive the ages, and we need someone who can help it to do that.”

The dwarf looked at them, he was aware that while they were being flattering the fact they were even here said much more. The Dwarf leaned back in his chair and said to them. “What about payment.” They looked at each other and then said. “We will of course need to discuss that. We might have to do bits at a time before its also done.” Pah said.

“We also can offer payment in the form of transportation services.” Ruthora also added. The dwarf titled his head and then smiled at the two of them. “I need to see the place first before I agree to anything.”

“Oh course. Join us tomorrow. We have a few family members who haven’t seen it yet and would like to.” Pahoran paused. “It will take a couple days.”

The dwarf nodded his head. “I think this will be worth those couple days.”

The information was exchanged and the mother and son took there leave to be ready for the next day.

word count: 1171
Pahoran
Title: He Who Stands Tall and Proud
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=974
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1008

16th of Glade 121 AoS

They had all gathered a few days later to begin the long expedition towards the designated site, towards the abandoned settlement. The family had decided not to take the wagons this time but to just ride the horses. Pahoran stood there looking up at one of the horses and it looked back at him. These beautiful creatures weren’t the great war horses Pah remembered from his youth in the citadel. They were excellent for what they were for, hauling wagons and such. He walked up and stuck out his hand so it could nuzzle his hand and see it was safe. Pah then ran his hand down the horses muzzle and along its neck and down its flank.

The young man brushed the horse looking around and seeing other members of the clan also in the process saddling their horses. Pah’s larger calloused hand held the brush and ran it along the side of the horses before moving to the other side. He kept an eye on the others to make sure he was doing this right. After brushing the horse he picked up the under blanket he also brushed the cloth to make sure there wasn’t anything to irritate the the horse’s flesh.

Once done he carefully placed the blanket over the horse. Turning he reached down and easily lifted the saddle and put it into place on the horses back. He paused and looked at the saddle and then pulled the straps into place. He then began to tighten the strap. When he stopped he looked at the whole thing then a voice behind him said.

“The strap needs to be tighter or else your saddle is going to slip sideways and take you with it.” Pahoran turned and look at his Grandmother who had finished saddling her horse. Pah blushed but tightened the strap and looked over at his grandmother. “Tighter.” It got tighter. “Good.” The wigged man sighed and turned away. “Your not done.” The Avialae youth stopped and turned to scrutinize the saddle. It took a moment before he walked back and secured the strap so it wouldn’t loosen while they he rode. “Good.” His grand mother walked up and Pahoran with out even thinking bent at his knees so the much shorter woman could kiss his check.

Pahoran and the others worked to make sure they were ready with necessary supplies. So that when the dwarf Lorward arrived they were ready including having a horse readied for their friend. Pahoran reached up and mounted the horse while everyone got ready. Pah’s mother approached the dwarf and smiled at him. “Thank you for coming.”

“I always like a challenge.” He said with a grin. “It’s been a while since I ruffed it. It will be like I am young again.”

Pahoran laughed at the dwarfs comment. He approached the horse and looked at the creature and said, “Anyone got a stepping stool.”

A stool was produced and the dwarf effectively climbed onto the horse with. I other problem. It was part of why they had approached the contractor. He wasn’t pampered and reliable and discreet. Once everyone was settled they all began to troughs into the forest.

word count: 545

Return to “The Northern Wilds”