Difficulties of International Mail

In which several letters take far too long to reach their recipients

Filled with people both proud and poor, the Imperium is a land of ambition, glory and a belief in the power of the mortal spirit.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Anton
Title: Ransera's Only Pacifist Twink
Character Sheet: https://www.legendofransera.com/viewtop ... =43&t=1892
Character Secrets: https://www.legendofransera.com/viewtop ... =20&t=1898

Special

Π ό λ ε μ ο ς • π ά ν τ ω ν

μ ὲ ν • π α τ ή ρ • ἐ σ τ ι

Searing 54, 122 Age of Steel

When the Every Waking Moment made its way to the Gelerian Imperium, the wives and offspring of House Michaelis wrote several letters to the leading men of the dynasty, informing them of their survival and their plans. Three copies of each were made, in an attempt to ensure that at least one made it to Franz and Sigismund on the war front. Ordinarily, the Zaichaeri military postal service was quite efficient, regular supply deliveries by airship included packets of letters from home as a matter of course. For obvious reasons, that orderly process had been somewhat interrupted by the events of the Thirty-Fourth of Searing.

The first of the copies were left at the family's estate south of the city. Its inhabitants sent their produce to and received news and wares from Zaichaer by river boat, the heavily loaded barges floating down river with the current and then rowing back up after dropping off their grain. Rich merchants, and official government dispatches, plied the waterways with coal fired boats. It was decided that sending any of the farmers north with grain would be a creative form of suicide until the situation calmed, and so they sent no letters either. Nonetheless, there was hope that the State would recover and send a boat south, and the packet could travel with it back to army command. Unfortunately, but not particularly surprisingly, this never occurred.

Secondly, copies were left in Haqs. In normal days this would be the fastest way to send mail to the army, aside from delivering it to a post office in Zaichaer itself of course. Grain and other foodstuffs were sent to the City of Brass on a daily basis, and everyone knew that it served as breadbasket for the city - and therefore driver of the whole war effort. However, it had been flooded with refugees following the Doom and was locked in a crisis of its own. Though even a single airship departing to the front lines was required, and indeed one was eventually sent, it proved slow with the chaos.

Finally, the last copies of the letters were left in Satesoria. The March was a staunch ally of Zaichaer, and contributed to the war in its own way whenever possible. Free of the chaos that had consumed Haqs, it was a hive of activity attempting to organize and assist the High City and the Order as much as possible. This, then, was what finally got the mail to Franz and Sigismund. An airship sailed north shortly after the Every Waking Moment departed for Geleros, stopping by Kathiid with an envoy from the Marchioness to determine what the Doom meant for the western cities of Karnor. A courier ship then departed to the front lines, finally delivering the brother generals.

Though the pair wasted no time writing replies, it took far longer for them to be actually sent. In the days that followed, administration and supply almost collapsed, the army retiring from the field before they ran out of food and ammunition. By the time they arrived in Kathiid, both brothers had written several letters. Ironically, despite being further away, it was Franz's family that heard news first, Sigismund's effectively hidden so long as they stayed at the estate. In time the routes were reopened, but the freight trade between Karnor at large and the Imperium had never truly been interrupted. Sitting in the hold of a Gelerian airship, the dispatches from afar made their way to their recipients.

It was early on Wraedas when the mail finally arrived, typically considered an ill omen, but any news was good news after so long hearing nothing about the family patriarch. The family gathered around close as Maria Theresa opened the letters from her husband, the woman reading them aloud to her three children. Amelia and Karl did not entirely understand what was going on, but letters from their father were always welcome. Meanwhile, Anton understood all too well the situation that Franz was in, and hoped only that he had an out.

My beloved family,
Searing 38, 122 Age of Steel

I wish that I could write more. Sigismund and I have received the messages that you have sent us, and we are doing well. Please understand that due to the ongoing conflict, I cannot inform you of any details in case this letter is intercepted. I hope that it shall be sent to you soon, but I do not know when the next dispatch will be available. I think of you always.

Your husband & father,
Franz

Maria, Anton, Amelia, Karl,
Searing 42, 122 Age of Steel

The past week has not been kind. General Overmann has a plan, and we are executing upon it, but that is all I am at liberty to write. Thank the Empty Throne that it is still Searing, I shudder to think of what would happen to us if these hardships had struck at the height of Frost. I have not been able to send my first letter yet, but its sentiments are the same. Sig and I are as well as can be hoped for in the circumstances. I hope that I will have more to write soon.

All of my love,
Franz

Maria Theresa & the children,
Searing 47, 122 Age of Steel

Good news at last. I have been given leave to tell you much of what has occurred since the ruinous Thirty-Fourth. Our chief, General Overmann, immediately realized the situation that the army had been put in following the events in the city. Though it pained us greatly, she ordered us to trust in the city's garrison to maintain the peace and reestablish order while we present ourselves as a force that Kalzasi cannot ignore. As much as I wish to race home with my division, I am forced to admit that she is right. While hostilities still wage between the cities, I cannot make any move that would give the foe freedom to maneuver. As such, the army has remained concentrated.

However, we have not menaced the wilderness. With Zaichaer in ruins and the supply lines wrecked, the army cannot sustain itself without savaging the very lands we were sworn to protect. Overmann recognized this fact, and ordered us to retire to Kathiid. We arrived earlier today, and the first thing I have done since finishing my duties with the men is write this very letter. I will not lie to you, the march to the city was quite rough. Sig fell ill while in the Wild-King's Forge, but we arrived in good time and he's being seen to by Necromancers.

As far as next steps, I am afraid that I can say very little. I do not know what the coming days hold for Karnor. I do not know if the war shall continue. I do not know when I will be able to see any of you again. But I do know that I am proud of all of you for what you have done in the past two weeks. Did you even realize that's how long it had been? I imagine that it felt much longer, such is the way of things.

I am glad that you are safe, please give Lothar and Beatrice my love and appreciation. Should all resolve favorably, I shall endeavor to thank the both of them in person. That goes, I must admit, double for Vanessa. Do not tell her I said that. I would see the look on her face when she is complimented myself.

There is so much more I wish to write, but the fast courier to Gel'Grandal leaves soon and so I am forced to cut it short here.

Never forget that I love each and every one of you with all of my heart.

Yours, always,
Franz

Silence filled the room after Maria Theresa finished reading the last letter from Franz. Karl had not followed most of what had transpired, but even he knew something was amiss and clung tightly to his mother. Anton and Amelia simply gave the other a knowing look, brother and sister understanding all too well what the letters meant. The four of them were as good as alone, and had best begun to act like it. Any dream of their father joining them soon had been dashed.

For their part at least, Anton and their mother had already begun charting their own course, independent and apart from Franz's name and influence. Being able to call upon Lothar's instead was a lucky crutch, and the pair of them could not help but feel a measure of guilt for Sigismund's family, his wife and children having no such convenient family members to rely upon in this dire situation. Though it was a minor point, it was one to consider nonetheless, and Anton resolved himself upon his chosen course of action. Vanessa had already promised him that the Every Waking Moment could be set to the sky on an hour's notice, and it was time to put that boast to the test.

"Well then. If Karnor shall not release father, then I shall go to Karnor."
word count: 1809
Anton
Title: Ransera's Only Pacifist Twink
Character Sheet: https://www.legendofransera.com/viewtop ... =43&t=1892
Character Secrets: https://www.legendofransera.com/viewtop ... =20&t=1898

Special

Review

Lore: 6
Injuries/Ailments: None
Loot: None

Notes: I thought it was okay