The Art of the Possible

The Umbrium prepares for the divorce.

The Umbrium is the lower half and secondary seat of the Solunarian Capital and one of the dual-cities that comprises Solunarium Proper. Before the rise of Aværys, mining revealed the site of a ruined, underground city which they dubbed Oblitium “The Forgotten City”, the foundations of which were incorporated into what is now The Umbrium. Warmed by the magma that churns just behind the walls, the Umbrium houses the Palatium Umbrarum (The Shadow Palace) which was constructed directly beneath its sunlit counterpart, the Blazing Palace. This palace serves as the primary seat of government when the sovereign is moonborn, and houses the headquarters of The Silver Sentinels.

Moderators: Principal Author, Regional Author, Associate Author, Junior Author

Arvælyn
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1139
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1154

"That stands to reason, given the method of deployment you've... Well, we've employed for centuries with out religious education." Arvælyn noted with a snigger.

"My understanding is that they are connected to all members of their bloodline. They can connect with us... commune and see through our eyes, hear through our ears. When they ascended that was when Re'hyæans acquired that peculiar trait whereby parent and child share a telepathic bond. These tethers run deeper with the Founders. As far as I know, those who've been fully possessed by Them have come out of it with a Mark. Phocion didn't even notice his, at first. It was only revealed to him once we arrived at Kaladon for our trials and he was... well, sort of recused for already having the gift the rest of us sought." He chuckled, shaking his head.

"I know it's all rather absurd when I say it aloud. But who knows how much of it was contrived by fate and how much by Solunarian intelligence? Maybe it was no coincidence at all that they decided to produce that particular play shortly after I joined the repertory company of that specific theatre." On the matter of his past profession, he shrugged.

"Well, Finn still sings, at least. I have to cheer him all the harder, since he sings for both of us now. I suppose I can still trot out monologues at cocktail parties, but that can be off-putting. Ah well. I've now done things in real life that I used to play at on stage and it's certainly no less riveting going off-script and figuring it all out extemporaneously." He paused, pondering.

"I suppose we're both still in the theatre, though, aren't we? All this politicking. It may not be scripted, but it has all the trappings... The sets..." He gestured to their regal surroundings, "The costumes..." He gestured down at the glamorous robes he still donned from the party. "Even an audience, quite frequently." He pursed his lips,

"I should retire, soon. My mornings get earlier and earlier yet my nights never seem to match pace."
word count: 365
“O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention...”

Phædryn Sol'Zalkyrion Arvælyn Princeps
['faɪd,ɹɪn solˌzæl'kiɹi,on ɑɹˌvɛɪˈlɪn]
Aeros
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=3625
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3636
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3644

TIMESTAMP: -
NOTES: -
- - -
- - -
Æros smiled softly to his companion’s words, though the expression was something more pensive than he usually wore. He did so wish he’d heeded those teachings more in the past instead of being so very stubborn; he’d bucked against true devotion at first out of spite for its enforcement by his mother, and then when he’d fled his kin, he’d become quite…lost. No sense in living in regret, though– the past is immutable; one can only strive to do better as they move forward.

He nodded when Arvælyn spoke about the nature of the bond they all shared with the founders; he found the other’s words insightful.

“Is that so? I wonder what that must be like…to be possessed by one of Them,” he mused in response.

“What an honor that would be, truly. I can only dream for such a fate,” there was a glimmer of hope in his words as he voiced this not so subtle wish.

But to the notion that Solunarium itself had a hand in that particular choice of play, in that sequence of events, a wan, half smile painted itself on the lips of the half-Fæ. “You know, I can’t say I could ever rule that out; and if true, what beautiful orchestration on part of our Kingdom.” If true, he admired the cunning of having pulled off guiding Arvælyn home in such a manner.

And as Arvælyn continued on, Æros nodded; their lives certainly were theatric.

“You’ve a point there,” he laughed.

“It very much does oft feel like a performance. Though there is a lot more speaking than I, for one, am used to,” he said, words light. “...but it does feel good to use my voice. For my words to have weight.”

When Arry noted how late it was, Æros blinked; he hadn’t been paying attention. “Ah– you’re right. I ought to do the same; I’m used to late nights, but…I do need to reign that in, too. Thank you for speaking with me like this, too. Your company is always a treat.”
- - -

"Vallenor Tongue/Speech"
"Vastien Tongue/Speech"
"Valasren Tongue/Speech"
"Common Tongue/Speech"
word count: 462

Say goodnight, to the weakness that you hide behind
Leaving the lies, leaving the fear inside
Never once were you truly alive
So scream all you like, no one can hear you

Soul laid bare,
Hector
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=3187
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?t=3339
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?t=3335

Special

Review

Æros

Lore: 15 lores, slightly smoldering
Injuries/Ailments:
Loot: None

Arvælyn

Lore: 15 lores, transcribed from many a long meeting
Injuries/Ailments:
Loot: None

Notes: in which many a subject was broached!
I can only imagine what they’ll talk about after more, uh, recent events, heehoo
word count: 99
"And as you lay down your grace to me,
the skies begin to bleach red,
and the stars begin to fall,
I feel myself changing,
as my world starts dividing–"

Return to “The Umbrium”